Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > HELP    

HELP

curk
Spain

HELP

I have a doubt  with this comparison structure. I don �t really know whether it is possible or not in English, because I have seen it a few times in books but I was taught it in a different way. In Spanish we do use it that way. So I want you to tell me.

Michael isn �t more experienced than I am.  ( Can we use the comparative form with a negative?  Shouldn �t it be like this

Michael isn �t as experienced as I am) 

25 Sep 2015      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi curk. Both of those structures are fine. The second one is the usual form. The first one �Michael isn �t more experienced than I am/than me � might be used for emphasis. Someone has claimed that Michael has got more experience than you, and that is far from true! 

25 Sep 2015     

MoodyMoody
United States

To add to cunliffe �s answer, the first sentence, "Michael isn �t more experienced than I am," can mean that your experience and Michael �s experience is equal. In reference to a job, for example, you both worked at the job for five years. It can mean that you have more experience as well.

In the second sentence, "Michael isn �t as experienced as I am," you are definitely claiming that you have more experience. You have been on the job for ten years and Michael for only five, let �s say.

Mathematically, you might express the first as M ≤ I. (M is Michael’s experience; I is your experience). The second would be M < I.

25 Sep 2015     

curk
Spain

THANK YOU

26 Sep 2015