Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Victor, please add categories to the upload choices     

Victor, please add categories to the upload choices

elderberrywine
Germany

Victor, please add categories to the upload choices

Dear Victor, dear users of this site,

for a long time, I have found it difficult to classify my worksheets among according to the categories existing on this site. I mainly teach advanced students and think the categories focus too much on beginners and intermediate students.
Where do I uploade a worksheet on the electoral system of the US or the British monarchy, on how to analyze a Shakespearean sonnet, etc? We have the categories  "  vocabulary / grammar  / others"  - and many of the things I look for or upload are neither focused on vocabulary nor on grammar nor do they fit the category "others". 

I would suggest the following additions, anf if other teachers have other ideas, please add them
FOR the TYPE of upload: here the category GAME should be introduced
for VOCABULARY, the sub- categories
RELATIONSHIPS,
POLITICS (we do teach political systems in GB and USA)  and
LITERATURE  (for stylistic devices, literary genres, analysis etc.) should be introduced
for the category OTHERS, I suggest that you add the sub-categories
- (CAMBRIDGE) EXAM PREPARATION , as we have a lot of material that prepares people for the Cambridge and other exams,
- REGIONAL AND CULTURAL STUDIES  (or GB studies and USA studies) (for all the worksheets which focus neither on grammar nor on vocabulary but on geographical, political, social etc. knowledge of Great Britain and the United States)
Best regards
elderberry

who has been a member for many years and missed these categories from the very beginning!

26 Sep 2015      

MoodyMoody
United States

Definitely Games! I would guess that 10% of the uploads are games of some sort. I might even suggest Games and Puzzles, for crosswords and word searches.

Family relationships? Sounds fine.

I think I would call the next category Civics rather than Politics. Unfortunately, politics is such an emotionally-charged word that I think we might encourage uploads we don �t want.

Literature is perfect as is. 

I would like to amend elderberrywine �s proposal to "Standardized Exam Preparation," instead of just "Cambridge." This would include Cambridge, of course, but also TOEFL and my poor little CASAS practice tests. It would exclude tests specific to one school or one class.

Regional and cultural studies would be good; that would include Australia, Canada, other English-speaking countries, as well as the rich variety of non-English-speaking countries with worksheets that appear here. 

I don �t tend to use them myself, but Music is another popular category of upload. It could even be Popular Culture if you want to include TV shows. 

If you couldn �t tell, I heartily endorse elderberrywine �s proposal! 

And to make even more work for you, Victor, how about updated Rules and Instructions? Many things have changed in the five years since they were last updated. I submitted a proposed revision along those lines a year ago, but nothing has changed. I can email the document again to you, Victor; just ask. It is still languishing on my hard drive.

26 Sep 2015     

elderberrywine
Germany

Thanks for supporting my proposal, Moody!

I agree that civics sounds better than politics. 
Let �s hope for some change  that benefits teachers of advanced classes.

26 Sep 2015     

MoodyMoody
United States

I �m actually not an advanced teacher, although I have similar issues because I teach adults, not children. Everything you mentioned just makes sense from what I �ve seen from submissions. It wouldn �t hurt my feelings if guidelines for levels here showed up, but I �d settle for a few more categories and updated rules.

26 Sep 2015     

elderberrywine
Germany

Victor ....???  Can you hear us?

30 Oct 2015