Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Present Perfect vs. Simple Past    

Present Perfect vs. Simple Past

AL3NA
Mexico

Present Perfect vs. Simple Past

Hi all,
I hope you �re having a wonderful week. I have a problem. I �m teching a group of about 18 students from ages 8 to about 10. I �m teaching the present PERFECT vs. the simple past. Students know how to use each seperately they know the structure and everything, but it seems that I can �t seem to make them understand when they should use one tense or the other.  Do any of you have any ideas on how I can aproach this topic?

Thanks,
Alena 

PS. Sorry about the mistake. I meant present perfect not continuous. Embarrassed

6 Oct 2015      

ELOJOLIE274
France

are you talking about the present continuous ou present perfect?

with my students i always tell them to think about the "comment" behind the sentence.
if the comment is "i did it", somet time ago" then you use the simple past
if the comment is "i did it and the result is..." then you use the present perfect

for example
- I worked as a barmaid.
- i �ve worked as a barmaid... ( SO... I know how demanding a job it is, how the customers can be a pain in the ass when they �re drunk ... / don �t tell me how to do my job please!)  there �s always something hidden behind the present perfect, an implied comment "what I did in the past has consequences on the present"

I did my homework VS I �ve done my homework. => linguists say those 2 sentences don �t have the same meaning depending on the context although some native speakers are not aware of the difference...

6 Oct 2015     

AL3NA
Mexico

Very helpful. Thanks for the insight. :)

6 Oct 2015     

FrauSue
France

With 8-10 year olds, I wouldn �t go into the really finicky semantic differences. In my opinion, they �re just too young.

Why not focus on clear structures?
I DID + fixed point in the past (I did it yesterday, I was there in 1986 ...) but I HAVE DONE + never, always, since or for (I have never been to Jamaica, I have always liked Madonna ...).

7 Oct 2015