Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > How do you think?    

How do you think?

Stassy
Belarus

How do you think?

Hi, everybody! :) It�a a great pleasue for me to have a chance to meet you all here! Thank you for your great work and for your contributions! They are all excellent! :)))

I�ve got one question and I�d like to know your opinions....

How do you think: what is the best way of teaching ADULTS to read?

Thank you very much!!!!!

looking forward for your reply!

good luck! :)))

3 Oct 2008      

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Stassy,

Do you mean teaching someone to read english as a 2nd language or to teach an illiterate adult to read?

3 Oct 2008     

H.AL-Shamsi
United Arab Emirates

hi
you have teach reading with listening as intergated skills

let them have the passage or story and listen it on the audio tape

let them to choose the story they like ^-^

3 Oct 2008     

cgato
Portugal

AlShamsi is right!
You can use http://www.esl-lab.com/  this site has listening exercises and the texts written as well!
Teaching adults is always harder than teaching children. I think you should try to make them listen to native speakers and then try that they reproduce what they listen to!
Hope it�s useful!Smile

4 Oct 2008     

CotterHUE
Japan

Hi Stassy,

I�m going to assume that the adult learners are literate in their language, and so are capable of at least recognizing the English alphabet and phonics.

Extensive reading is a great help for students to improve vocabulary, grammar, sentence patterns, and fluency.  Students will improve far more quickly if they read every day, not to mention that stories are generally more interesting for self-study than listening to canned dialogues.  There�s a very good article here:

http://www.talktotheclouds.com/2008/06/07/tadoku-means-extensive-reading/

Good luck in the classroom!

Chris Cotter
www.headsupenglish.com

4 Oct 2008     

Stassy
Belarus

Thanks you very much for your reply!!!!! It was a pleasure to see that somebody is trying to help me....:)))))) Really!!

Actually, I�ve got some pupils among adults now....And.....one of them is now completing that course where he has learnt to write, read and even speak....He knows quite a lot of words by now and I am very proud of him! Really! He�s MY success! :))) But I can say it�s a hard work, you know......it�s really much easier to teach kids than adults......

Thank you very much!!!
Best regards! :)))

4 Oct 2008