Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Question    

Question

Mietz
Germany

Question

Has anybody got any idea what the word "pimwit" means/ could mean?
I know dimwit, but not "pimwit". My friend asked me, but gave no additional explanations apart from that she �s been trying to work that out for a while.
Thanks for your help and suggestions!
Mietz

24 Feb 2009      

Greek Professor
Greece

Hi Mietz,

There is no such word... unless it could be used as slang meaning: mentally retarded..stupid..But such word does not exist

Greek Professor

P.S. or it could be a surname....

24 Feb 2009     

eng789
Israel

Four experiments investigated 4-year-olds� understanding of adjective-noun compositionality and their sensitivity to statistics when interpreting scalar adjectives. In Experiments 1 and 2, children selected tall and short items from 9 novel objects called pimwits (1-9 in. in height) or from this array plus 4 taller or shorter distractor objects of the same kind. Changing the height distributions of the sets shifted children�s tall and short judgments. However, when distractors differed in name and surface features from targets, in Experiment 3, judgments did not shift. In Experiment 4, dissimilar distractors did affect judgments when they received the same name as targets. It is concluded that 4-year-olds deploy a compositional semantics that is sensitive to statistics and mediated by linguistic labels.

It �s a word but I �m not sure what it means.

24 Feb 2009     

Greek Professor
Greece

Got a point eng789...

24 Feb 2009     

eng789
Israel

Thanks for the acknowledgement.    G.P.

24 Feb 2009     

Mietz
Germany

Thank you for your input! Clap Any further ideas are of course still welcome. Smile

24 Feb 2009     

demeuter
Belgium

UnhappyToday I reported 2 stolen worksheets (contributions of today). Read the comments before downloading the printables and report them. The only thing we can do for the moment.

Karina

24 Feb 2009     

freddie
Canada

I`ve certainly never heard the word before but there is a Pims gin so maybe someone who drank too much Gin is a pimwit   LOL

Just kidding!

24 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

@ Freddie...

You solved the mystery... It �s a dimwit that drank too much Pims!Tongue

... Ohhh... a joke: What do you call a gin drinking dimwit? A Pimwit!!

LOL

24 Feb 2009     

eng789
Israel

In this study, we are interested in exploring children�s understanding of spatial adjectives like big, small, tall and short. Children will be presented with an array of novel objects (e.g., wooden dolls) and will be taught a funny name for them (e.g., �These are pimwits!�). Then they will be asked to find members of the array and place them in a circle (e.g., �Can you put the tall pimwits in the circle?�). We are interested in how children�s application of words like big and tall varies according to the average heights of objects presented in the array.

A pimwit - is a funny name given to something instead of the name of a familiar object  - in studies done with children in order to test their knowledge of adjectives.  Instead of asking them to place the wooden dolls in order of size they are told to place the pimwits in order of size.   They want to know how the kids react to words like big and tall without being affected by the name of the actual object.

24 Feb 2009     

Mietz
Germany

Wow!
@ eng789 - Fantastic!!! Thank you ever so much from me and my friend!!!
@ the others - thank you, too for adding some reasons for smiling during a rather grey, dull and rainy day!!!

What would I do without you?! Clap

24 Feb 2009     

1    2    Next >