Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > at last finally eventually    

at last finally eventually

gharbi2009
Tunisia

at last finally eventually

In a story, finally, eventually and at last suggest an outcome whether positive or negative. I would like to know if it suitable to use these signal words to list details or if there are other linkers that may be more suitable. Thanks beforehand for your help.

18 Oct 2015      

FrauSue
France

"Finally" can be used to introduce the last item in a list, or the concluding argument in a discursive essay.
"Eventually" and "At last" can be used to introduce the final action in a story. They suggest that a goal or a point was reached after a lot of effort or hardship. ("Finally" can also be used in this scenario.)

Imagine an Oscar-winner �s speech: 
I would like to thank my family and friends, my wonderful children, my drama teacher and, finally, my brilliant husband, Tom. 
I never thought I would make it in this industry. I failed my first thirty-two auditions until eventually I was offered a small part in a production of �Macbeth � and at last I could do the job I had always dreamed of. 

18 Oct 2015     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

thank you for your help

18 Oct 2015