Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > religious education    

religious education

metcet20
Turkey

religious education

Hi dear friends, I want to learn how much (how many hours a week) do the student 5-8 grade get religious education in your country? Is it compulsary ?  It is important for me because we need it to adopt a new policy on religious education in our union.

Thank you. Good days 

20 Oct 2015      

ldeloresmoore
China

No mandatory religious education in the USA.  I currently teach in China, and there �s also no mandatory religious education here either. 

20 Oct 2015     

phuongtra176
Vietnam

in my country, Vietnam,  the student have 3 our per week to get religious education in their town. it �s not compusary , mainly because someone don �t have a lot of time , they have to do a lot of exercises. 

20 Oct 2015     

MimaMaxima
Croatia

In Croatia it �s an elective course in theory, but pupils who don �t "elect" it are subjected to peer pressure and pressure from the community. It �s twice a week, usually in the middle of the pupil �s schedule so if they don �t elect it, they literally sit alone in the hallways. It �s confessional religious education which includes praying during class. In high schools pupils can choose between Religious education and Ethics so they actually have a choice. Of course, it �s just Catholic religion, so the members of minorities are not included. 

20 Oct 2015     

joannajs
Poland

Religion is technically elective in my country. As parent you can decide for your child to attend religious education (in theory it should be organized as the first or last lesson, but it �s sheer theory), ethics or nothing. 

Interesting question - in Poland which is declaratively 86% Catholic almost everybody attends religious classes in primary school (or at least till first communion so till the kids are about 7-8), few drop out in junior high and for a sizeable group of youngsters a "divorce" with religious education comes after confirmation sacrament which is somewhere at the end of junor high or after the first class of high school. This only reveals several tendencies: often religious education at schools is low quality, people treat it in a utilitarian way (confirmation certificate is required to get married in church so they do it). And as MimaMaxima says there is peer pressure. And church pressure, especially in rural areas or small cities.

So to sum up: religion is not mandatory. At the certificate it appears as

religion / ethics ..................[grade]

Of course you are going to face problems of how to evaluate since the very young children are usually not given numerical grades and decriptive grade would reveal whether the grade was given for religion or ethics (or perhaps even for what religion). Another problem which we encountered was with the students who decided not to attend religion or ethics. In their case a dash was entered in their certificate. Human rights activists advocated that since grades for religion are usually high, those who do not attend are at a disadvantage because their grade point average suffers. So far there is no solution to that.

Hope that helps.

best,

joanna 

20 Oct 2015     

Poppingdale
Portugal

It �s elective in Portugal, too. Those who choose to attend those classes have only one 45-minute lesson a week.
Bye! 

20 Oct 2015     

Poppingdale
Portugal

Oh, and no-one gets bullied or anything like that. In fact,  less and less students enrol in those classes nowadays. If a religion has numerous members in a school, they can require a "special" teacher, otherwise they will be taught Catholic morality and values. 

20 Oct 2015     

metcet20
Turkey

Thank you all.It is not mandatory officially in our country too. But parents cannot say that their children do not need any. They do not want their children to be labelled as an atheist, because believers will not take them in to the group or they will not like them any more. I don �t want to start an argument but I wonder what the situation in others Germany, Holland, England Russia etc.

21 Oct 2015