Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > asking for help    

asking for help

labadi2011
Algeria

asking for help

hello dear colleagues

I need help with the pronunciations of the lettre "ch" when it is pronounced tch and when it is pronounced k

are there any specific rules.
thanks in advance 

27 Oct 2015      

meriem38
Algeria

yes there specific rules according to the origin of the word:I found an interesting worksheet  here about this lesson make the  search about it in esl and you will find it.

27 Oct 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

There �s a helpful � and wonderfully brief � page about that particular letter combination here:

I usually add the Scots and Irish pronunciation /x/ which you �ll find in words like loch/lough as well as in a few other non-Celtic words with the ch combination (matriarch, parochial etc).

27 Oct 2015     

you_per7
Algeria

Here is what Samuel Johnson wrote in " A Grammar of the English Tongue"

C.

C has before e and i the sound of s; as sincerely, centrick, century, circular, cistern, city, siccity: before a, o, and u, it sounds like k, as calm, concavity, copper, incorporate, curiosity, concupiscence.

C might be omitted in the language without loss, since one of its sounds might be supplied by, s, and the other by k, but that it preserves to the eye the etymology of words, as face from facies, captive from captivus.

Ch has a sound which is analyzed into tsh, as church, chin, crutch. It is the same sound which the Italians give to the c simple before i and e, as citta, cerro.

Ch is sounded like k in words derived from the Greek, as chymist, scheme, choler. Arch is commonly sounded ark before a vowel, as archangel, and with the English sound of ch before a consonant, as archbishop.

Ch, in some French words not yet assimilated, sounds like sh, as machine, chaise.

C, according to English orthography, never ends a word; therefore we write stick, block, which were originally, sticke, blocke. In such words c is now mute.

It is used before l and r, as clock, cross.

27 Oct 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Ah, dear Samuel Johnson:

27 Oct 2015     

MarionG
Netherlands

Almaz,
where is the LOL smiley when you need it? 

27 Oct 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

I know, Marion. It �s a crying shame.

28 Oct 2015     

azoura
Tunisia

what �s the problem with this site??? i can �t find the new contributions

28 Oct 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Hi, azoura!

Yes, there is a problem with the main page that prevents you from seeing the new contributions on the left of the main page.
The webmaster will definitely see to this.

However, that is no problem!
You can have a look here to find them.

Hope this helps!

Giorgi 

28 Oct 2015     

TatianaKazak
Belarus

do not forget about "aches" (head-, stomach, tooth- and backaches)

28 Oct 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Tatiana,

I just wanted to say how impressed I am that you actually have such a list. :D Is there a �list 1 �? Backaches are hard to forget ;-)

And as for rules, we first need to know the origin of the word? So that kind of makes it hard. Might be easier to just use a dictionary or learn them as they appear?

Finally, are there any Canadians out there who can confirm the pronunciation of schedule? I am teaching some Canadian English next week and I am bound to be asked, eh.

Tap

28 Oct 2015     

1    2    Next >