Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I need your help, please!    

I need your help, please!

nikolai
Bulgaria

I need your help, please!

Can you help me, please! Complete the text with the correct form of the verbs in the present perfect or past simple.

Keanu Reeves was born in Beirut, Lebanon, on the 2nd September 1964. His mother , Patricia, was English. His father, Sam, was Hawaii and his name, Keanu, is Hawaiian for �cool wind in the mountains �. He (1. live )............................. in many different places in his life. In 1966, his family (2. live )....................... in Australia for a year. Then Keanu �s parents ( 3.get )...............divorced and his mother ( 4.take ).................  her two children to New York. There, she (5. marry )......................... her second husband, Paul, a Hollywood film director. Two years later, they (6. go ) .............................to live in Toronto, Canada and Keanu                              (7. become) .................. Canadian.
When he was a teenager, eanu ( 8. love ).................. hockey and theatre.He (9.  not like ) ........................................... studying, and ( 10. leave ) ...............................school to become an actor when he was 17. His first actingjob was dancing in a cola advertisement.Keanu(11.  go )............................to Hollywood in 1986. He (12.  act ) .............................in many films and most famouse for the Speed and Matrix films.
Keanu (13. always / love ) ....................... music but he didn �t start playing the bass guitar until he was 23.
He (14. start ) .......................... a rock band Dogstar with 2 friends. They (15. make )............................records and done a lot of concerts. He �s got a lot of different interests. He like riding horses, surfing and (16. study ) ................ kung-fu for his films.

Thank you so much!!!! 

30 Oct 2015      

Gi2gi
Georgia

1. has lived
  2. lived
  3. got
  4. took
  5. married
  6. went
  7. became
  8. loved
  9. did not like
  10. left
  11. went
  12. has acted
  13. had always loved
  14. started
  15. have made
  16. studying 

30 Oct 2015     

yanogator
United States

Giorgi �s answers are all correct, but I have two things to add.

On #13, "has always loved" is also correct, and fits the instructions to use  present perfect or past simple. Either answer works grammatically, because the events could be considered as sequential or not.

On #16, "studying" is the only correct answer, and it isn �t either of those tenses, so that one can �t follow the instructions. 

Bruce 

30 Oct 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Absolutely, Bruce, and not only that: there are a few typos, omissions and grammatical/lexical errors ("His father, Sam, was Hawaii", "he like..."...) which also need to be addressed before the exercise is given out to students.

30 Oct 2015     

salouh
Tunisia

Why  1-has lived  not lived

31 Oct 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Mom: Son, There was a car accident this morning and I need to tell you something...

Son: Yes Mom?

Mom: It �s about your homework...you know when you wrote "My dog Rover has lived with us since I was born" ?

Son: Yes?

Mom: Well, you need to change that to "lived".

;-)

31 Oct 2015     

yanogator
United States

@salouh - because he is still alive. The living is not entirely in the past, but rather continues to the present.

Bruce 

31 Oct 2015     

nikolai
Bulgaria

Thank you very much!

1 Nov 2015