Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > can we say?    

can we say?

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

can we say?

Hi, Can we say: Did you know the exam is tomorrow? Thanks

1 Nov 2015      

parsland
Iran

hi , 
i think you need to attend a very good high school English language, you will find your answers at there.

1 Nov 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Yes, you can say that. It �s correct.

Someone still says that to me in my nightmares very often. :-)

1 Nov 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Pretty. Just to add to Tapioca �s answer, this can be confusing as some languages require the future tense for future events, but not English in contexts like this.

I used to love exams (except maths).  Isn �t it good to have the smileys back? 

1 Nov 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

As cunliffe says, this is what I explain to my students as the "future + timetable" simple present (I know, I know, but I couldn �t think of anything more catchy).

An exam is usually on a schedule, or programme or timetable, like school term dates, buses, boats, aeroplanes and regular meetings at the office. So we treat them like regular events (because that �s what they are). That is not the same as a meeting that you put in your diary and is not repeated regularly, because then we �d normally use present continuous (okay stop pulling your hair out now).

So if you can imagine seeing the future event on a board somehwere, with a time or date next to it, then you can use the simple present. E.g.
  • My train leaves tomorrow at 8am.
  • The new school term starts on 4 October.
  • Hurry up! The film starts in 20 minutes!

1 Nov 2015     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

. I was confused because I wasn �t sure which tense should be used after "did you know " ? Thanks a lot for the clarification

1 Nov 2015     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

It �s an indirect question and you were wondering correctly why there is no sequence of tenses like in other cases when the reporting verb is in the past BUT we don �t need to change the tense if the original statement was about something that is still true.

1 Nov 2015     

douglas
United States

To Parsland:

Look who is calling the kettle black:

i think you need to attend a very good high school English language <course?>, you will find your answers at there.

Rudeness is frowned-upon here, please refrain from making such a fool of yourself on our forum.

Thank-you,
Douglas

2 Nov 2015     

parsland
Iran

douglas

take  it easy !

what you have marked , there aren �t serious mistakes , it seems that you are not rude, so plz calm and take it easy.

2 Nov 2015     

douglas
United States

I just don �t like to see negative attacks on the forum; we �ve worked too hard too make this a safe place for teachers to share and seek help without being ridiculed. You openly ridiculed Pretty without provocation, which I find quite offensive.

For an English teacher that is ridiculing another �s language skills, I would say your mistakes are serious (I won �t correct your latest post).

So please let �s try to be nice to each other in the future.

Cheers,
Douglas 

2 Nov 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with Douglas. What is there not to agree with? If you see that someone has made a mistake (which we are all capable of) or you think they have said or asked something daft, then either send them a pm or do nothing. On here, we support each other. 

2 Nov 2015