Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Why don īt they help him?    

Why don īt they help him?

Gi2gi
Georgia

Another thing that might be considered is that  "why don īt you..."  is not always a suggestion, you might be asking what the reason for something is and expecting an answer with "because"... A while ago someone asked me something like this when he had to do an exercise from Round-Up Grammar. The dialogue was like this ...

While (1) Why donīt you finish your homework? does sound like a suggestion, (4) Why donīt you like him? clearly does not sound like it...

2 Nov 2015     

Jayho
Australia

Well Tap, you have had me thinking about this one.

In your initial post you had present simple v present continuous. In fact, I think that, for me,  I would more likely  use present continuous; why isnīt anyone helping him! (and I can see, now that I have come to this conclusion, that cunliffe said the same). Both are certainly possible and natural utterances in my neck of the woods.

Bruce, with your example, Why doesnīt the bus come?" I would actually say: Where is the bus! perhaps with an expletive depending on how late the bus is ;-). But again, both are possible and natural utterances where I live.

On reading everyoneīs interesting responses, I think that basically these are examples of rhetorical questions and of exasperation. Yes, it can be considered a truth, because basically most people do walk past, especially if the person is drunk, dishevelled, begging for money, abusive, a īregular� etc. If it happened to a well dressed businessman, or a well dressed disabled person, he would most likely get lots of help. Drivers would even stop to help. So that really brings in stereotyping. A helpless bystander on the other side of the road, who really wants to help, would respond as you wrote, and in exasperation.  A bystander, who didnīt want to help (because of sterotyping), would probably say something quite different or perhaps nothing at all.

And speaking of stereotyping, my city recently conducted a social experiment whereby CEOs and the like dressed up as street people and hung around the city one morning. Their responses indicated that most people ignored them and walked past and very few people actually acknowledged them or offered assistance.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jayho

2 Nov 2015     

< Previous   1    2