Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > NEED YOUR IDEAS    

NEED YOUR IDEAS

pilarmham
Spain

NEED YOUR IDEAS

This year my department is organizing some activities around a writer, and we have selected Oscar Wilde. Every student in the school is going to read one of his books and we are going to display posters with his pictures and some of his quotes. Some will be made by our students. We have also thought about placing a real-size stand-up figure of him near the entrance.

Could you suggest any other activities?

Thanks in advance!

2 Nov 2015      

Tapioca
United Kingdom

THE GRAY MIRROR
There �s a cool iPhone app (and on Android too) called "Oldify". You could bring a big wall mirror into the school and get the children to make "oldify" pictures of each other, print them and stick them on the mirror (The Picture of Dorian Gray) with a note saying "When I was young, I used to...."

Here�s an example of what it can do. Yes, it can be quite scary...

THE PUNCHLINE
One of my favourite Wilde quotes is
�We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.�
― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere �s Fan
You could get the students to write and perform a mini play of their own (maybe 10 minutes maximum?) which ends with this famous line.

Tap

2 Nov 2015     

ninon100
Russian Federation

What a depressing photo. Gives me the creeps. Could really upset some students. And what would they remember after that activity? Their own wrinkled selves? Surely you can do more positive around Oscar Wilde! You could organize a Jeopardy! quiz game based on his quotations. Like - continue the quote, for example. They let themselves easily for classification for this game. For instance, quotes on: women, fame, writing, parents and children, education and so on, and so on......... Teams could also compete on that!

3 Nov 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Love the photos, Tap. 

May I recommend Will Self�s version (and homage),  Dorian, An Imitation?

3 Nov 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

@ Alex, thank you, though I �d stress that �s not me in the pic.... :-) I �ll definitely look up the Will Self version.

@ Ninon - yes it �s pretty scary but kids seem to love it. Go figure. What will they remember? Having fun I �d hope and perhaps the use of the construction �I used to... � and some thoughts about the importance of making the most of their youth, rather than being earnest?

3 Nov 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

@ Alex, thank you, though I �d stress that �s not me in the pic.... :-) I �ll definitely look up the Will Self version.

@ Ninon - yes it �s pretty scary but kids seem to love it. Go figure. What will they remember? Having fun I �d hope and perhaps the use of the construction �I used to... � and some thoughts about the importance of making the most of their youth, rather than being earnest?

3 Nov 2015     

pilarmham
Spain

Thank you all! 

20 Nov 2015