Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > what message does the song"immortality" convey?    

what message does the song"immortality" convey?

gharbi2009
Tunisia

what message does the song"immortality" convey?

I was teaching a listening activity based on Celine Dion �s song �Immortality � and a student asked me what the relation between the title of the song and its content was. I told him the singer wanted to be immortal by being by everyone and not one person, thus fulfilling her dream. In other words, she wanted to be a philanthropist and I supported my argument with a detail from the poem " An I must choose to live, For all that I can give" Is my interpretation of the song correct? Please help if there is any other message the song conveys? 

3 Nov 2015      

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Hi Gharbi,

I always tell my students that not all songs are well thought through, for many reasons, often the meaning is not deliberately clear. It�s not always easy to write lyrics for a song AND at the same time make them interesting, emotional and meaningful!

I think you �re broadly correct. It seems to me the song is about a musician or artist who has to choose between her/his career and the dream of achieving immortality through that, on one hand, and following her/his heart and being with a lover, on the other: love or career. In this case, the choice is career, so it�s not very romantic!

So it�s not actual immortality, perhaps, but fame. It was written specifically for a show (see below), so I guess it is used to explain part of the plot for the main character.

When she sings �For all that I can give�, I would understand that as �give to my fans/give to my career�, rather than philanthropy, but it�s subjective and I can be cynical sometimes ;-)

I found an interview with Maurice Gibb (of The Bee-Gees), where he talks about the writing of the song.

PS: Maurice I can imagine, it �s different than writing a song for you three, than for writing, for example, for Celine Dion, for other artists...
Maurice: Exactly. Well, there, an example with the song "Immortality" for Celine Dion was, ah, we needed a song for - the stage show for "Saturday Night Fever" was starting up, and they needed one song for like a climax-type of song, so we wrote this song "Immortality", and as we were doing it, we were saying. `wouldn �t it be great if Celine Dion could do this`? We imagined Celine when we wrote it. And then even though... �cause we were told at that time a girl singer was going to do it in the show, which eventually ended up as a guy singing it. But Celine heard it and loved it so much, it was so ironic that we imagined her singing it, and then she wanted to do it.

SOURCE: http://www.brothersgibb.org/mauricegibb-poems-page7.html

btw his use of the word �ironic� there is confusing. I think he meant �a coincidence�.

I sometimes use the website songmeanings.com and this one is also on there:
http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/46694/

Tap

3 Nov 2015     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

Thanks Tap for the useful information you provided me with. Anyway, I think a piece of literature is always open to different interpretations and knowing the reason for writing  is always helpful.

Have a nice day, 
Gharbi

4 Nov 2015     

houda ben ali
Tunisia

As for me the question I have always  asked(to no avail!) " what has this song to do with holidaying  and art shows?"

5 Nov 2015