Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need your help!    

I need your help!

myemma
Ukraine

I need your help!

Dear friends ? What variant is correct?
The first  Olympic Games started in 776 b/c,............( did not htey   or did not it    )
The  correct variant  in the textbook was   did not it  .   Is it  right  answer?  

5 Nov 2015      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

The Olympic Games first started in 776 BC, didn�t they? Not did not they? Did they not? is possible and a bit emphatic - you are expecting agreement.

Maybe the text book is treating the Olympic Games as one event? Anyway, it needs to be plural, so did not it is not right. 

Edit: Having read LyallR.Jones�s answer, I�ve googled it. Apparently, The Olympic Games can take a singular agreement. However, it sounds weird to me! I am sticking with plural. Try this: The Olympic Games take place every 4 years. I don�t think anybody would use �takes�...This link was informative.

Many collective nouns can take either singular or plural agreement. I usually plump for the plural. I guess you can�t actually say the text book is wrong for using the singular, though. 

5 Nov 2015     

LyallR.Jones
United Kingdom

Dear myemma

First of all the sentence: The first Olympic Games started in 776 b/c, is wrong; the first game may have started at noon but the first Olympic Games took place in 776 B.C. (note that b/c is also not correct it has to be B.C. or at least BC which I do not recommend but it is widely used, in my opinion initialisms should always have the full stops and acronyms should never have them).

As for whether The Olympic Games are plural or singular, it depends on the context in this case the word first made it into singular however... both "did not they"(I assume the htey was a typo) and "did not it" are incorrect, the right answer should be: "did it not?"

Therefore: The first Olympic Games took place in 776 B.C.,did it not?

Dear cunliffe it seems you are having problems distinguishing between; The Olympic Games and The Olympics games, The first Olympic Games can only be the first whole event therefore can only be singular, The first Olympics games(plural) however are all the individual events that took place in The first Olympic Games (the whole event).

5 Nov 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@LyallR,Jones - well, if I wasn �t confused before, I sure am now;-)Confused

5 Nov 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Hi,

Speaking of initialisms, 
should it be D.V.D.,  B.B.C., F.B.I., and C.I.A ?

Could you please give more info as to why the full stop (period) is recommended here?  
I thought that periods were sometimes used in US English with initialisms, never before have I seen any sources stating that it�s better to use periods (full stops).

Cheers,
Giorgi 

5 Nov 2015     

LyallR.Jones
United Kingdom

Hi, Giorgi,

As I stated initialisms are frequently used without the full stops, but then how does a foreigner know when to try and pronounce it as a word or when to say each letter individually, in my opinion the full stops are there to be used as full stop otherwise how do you stop yourself from saying cia instead of C.I.A.? (Since there is already both abbreviations, why not make them each unique to standardize and simplify) I stress this is my opinion and since there is nothing stopping me from doing so and makes it much easier for learners it is what I do.

Dear Cunliffe,

Lets see if I can explain it better: The Olympic Games are events composed of several events so therefore plural; The Olympic Games started in 776 B.C., didn�t they?, The Olympic Games are held every four years, however when first is used it makes The Olympic Games undoubtedly singular, lets use lessons as an example; I had my lessons last week , ok thumbs up so far so good, lets add first to the phrase; I had my first lessons last week, does it seem odd? lets make it singular; I had my first lesson last week. Don�t forget first = 1st.

5 Nov 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@LyallR.Jones: The first event of the Olympic Games?

5 Nov 2015     

LyallR.Jones
United Kingdom

@ cunliffe

I don �t really understand your question but I will put it as simple as I can; what is really determining the singular or plural is the determiner.

Wooot!? but my source said ; �the Olympics� is a collective noun like team or United States, and usually takes a singular verb. �Games,� on the other hand, is a plural noun that should take a plural verb.

Lets look at the source of the source ("Source: Wikipedia");

1. The Olympic Games reached their zenith in the 6th and 5th centuries BC ( Olympic Games with no singular determiner= plural)

2.The Olympics entered a period of stagnation that threatened their survival. (Olympics with no singular determiner= plural)

3.The second Olympics was held in Paris (Olympics with determiner "second" used = singular)

4.In 1866, a national Olympic Games in Great Britain was organized at London �s Crystal Palace(Olympic Games with determiner "a" used= singular)

5.The first Games held under the auspices of the IOC was hosted in the Panathenaic stadium in Athens in 1896(Games with determiner "first" used= singular)

edit: these are all quotes straight from Wikipedia (and how much more common usage could you get than Wikipedia?)

5 Nov 2015     

douglas
United States

I disagree Lyall,

The first __ games= more than one game= plural. I realize it is one event, but we are still taking about a series of games.

If you do a search, you will find that the common consensus is to treat them as plural (and "Olympics Games" is never correct).

I must admit though, that Collins Dictionary says it can be either plural or singular (similar to "team"). So there is a choice, but common use says plural.

Cheers,
Douglas

6 Nov 2015     

LyallR.Jones
United Kingdom

Dear Douglas

You have just illustrated my point exactly so how can you disagree? the first few games the first two games have to be plural but you can never say the first games, it has to be the first game, and what are trying to say with (and "Olympics Games" is never correct) I never said it was but the Olympics games is certainly correct as the Olympic Games games(I would never use either in my day to day) would also be correct because each Olympic Games is an event with multiple games, just because team can be either plural or singular does it mean I can say the first team are here? or 1 team are ready????!!!!

Nothing can determine a determiner other than another determiner otherwise why would we call them determiners?

But I will stop here now, I was trying to help someone who had genuine doubts not to have people disagree with facts I gave so that I have to prove it again in another way.

If after reading the whole thread you still think there is another way to determine the quantity other than by the determiner that is your opinion but not the facts.

Good day.

6 Nov 2015     

douglas
United States

"I like football the first games begin at 3:00 pm on Saturday." (not begins)

>>Lyall

I notice you have a UK flag under your avatar, yet your arguments sound like the "book" arguments that more often come from non-native speakers.  Out of curiosity, are you a first-language native speaker and if so, from what region.

For the sake of your students, I highly recommend you begin to give "common use" more consideration--their goals are probably more focused at speaking like a native than being overly proper at the price of sounding foolish.

Cheers,
Douglas

6 Nov 2015     

1    2    Next >