Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > which sentence is correct?    

which sentence is correct?

yovily23
Spain

which sentence is correct?

Got it!

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies. More info

Today it �s sunny / it �s sunny today

is it sunny today? / is sunny today?/ is it today sunny?

Today it �s hot / today is hot

is it hot today? / is hot today? /

thanks in advance

9 Nov 2015      

Gi2gi
Georgia

Hi,

Today it ´s sunny / it ´s sunny today  - Both are OK

Today it ´s hot (ok)  / today is hot (wrong)

is it hot today?  (ok) / is hot today? (wrong)  / Is is hot today?  (wrong)

Cheers,

Giorgi 

9 Nov 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Wait....I �m not allowed to say "Today is hot"??

9 Nov 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Tapioca, 

As a native speaker you should know the answer!
And you are more than welcome to give your answers.

In my opinion, Today it �s hot is by far more common and appropriate to say than Today is hot;
I am not saying that grammatically the second option is wrong, but you are unlikely to say or hear it in any conversation! 

P.S. You are allowed to say whatever you want, and you are allowed to behave the way you choose, and, sure enough, you are allowed to "correct" other people without providing help to the original poster.

Giorgi 

10 Nov 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Of course Today is hot is perfectly grammatical and there �s no reason why you shouldn �t hear it in a conversation ("If you think today is hot, wait until tomorrow!"). It may well not be heard as often as the first option, but there �s nothing wrong about it.

10 Nov 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

For those who find  paraphrasing enjoyable.

I said that  you are unlikely to say or hear it in any conversation

which means, that it is not commonly said or heard

Person A: The weather has been so hot lately. Particularly yesterday. Yesterday was very hot.

Person B: No, today is very hot. The temperature is at a record high today.

This kind of conversation is not very likely, but it is possible.

So, in answer to your question - for most conversations, it �s appropriate to say:

"It is / It �s very hot today."

A discussion on this topic:

10 Nov 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

In other words, if I say

"Some people here are likely to be jerks"

I mean that there is a (small) possibility that some people are not jerks :)

10 Nov 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

You seem to have missed the very simple point that both Tapioca and I were making. In your first response to the OP, you wrote that the sentence Today is hot was wrong. It �s not. That �s all. 

10 Nov 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Phew, glad we got that sorted. I thought I �d been using an idiom ( I always thought it was perfectly okay to say "Don �t throw your toys out of the buggy or you �ll get wrong" until I went to university) :-) So Yovily, I think Gi2rgy �s answer is correct apart from that one phrase where you need to change "wrong" to "less commonly used". I often say "Yesterday was really windy" and although I am in a minority it �s good to know I am not actually wrong.

10 Nov 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

@almaz,
And you seem to be missing the message I have been trying to convey - why don �t you ever comment in any topic where a user is asking for help unless someone else gives an answer from the best of their knowledge? What �s the use of lurking there and waiting, until you find a "mistake" in somebody else �s answer and then you start posting what you consider is wise and cynical? ;) As for "the mistake", if we absolutely had to choose from the two options  Today it �s hot  and  today is hot 
the only preferred choice would be  Today it �s hot
because it sounds far more natural and common.  
That �s all. 

10 Nov 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Your apology is accepted.

10 Nov 2015     

1    2    Next >