Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Prepositions as conjunctions (and adverbs)?    

Prepositions as conjunctions (and adverbs)?

almaz
United Kingdom

Prepositions as conjunctions (and adverbs)?

1. He moved here after the end of the war.
  2. Entry is free after 5 pm in the evening.
  3. I went to the cinema after I had eaten my dinner.
What category would you put the word in bold into in each of the sentences above? Would you be surprised to hear that they are all prepositions? Well, that �s how the respected grammarian Geoffrey Pullum treats them. Read his piece on the English DfE �s recently-published sample grammar test:

(note the references to Linnaeus and biology textbooks at the end)

11 Nov 2015      

almaz
United Kingdom

Perhaps Prof. Pullum�s name isn�t familiar to everybody, but he is co-author of the magisterial Cambridge Grammar of the English Language (which he cites in his piece).

He�s also the co-author of the more accessible A Student �s Introduction to English Grammar

EDIT: this was originally a response to Gi2gi (Giorgi) who seems to have deleted his post for some reason...

Alex

11 Nov 2015     

Yara Loraine Rodr�guez
Panama

Hello, I am a panamanian teacher. This book sounds interesting. Specially for us, because we are always dedicating time in the learning and teaching of this beautiful language. I am going to Cambridge, for a course, in the way of my country as a bilingual development. So, I would like to acquire interesting books. 

Have a good time! 

11 Nov 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yes, Yara. It �s good to keep an open mind. As teachers, we should always be prepared to have our preconceptions (and misconceptions, of course) challenged. 

The best of luck in Cambridge.

Alex 

12 Nov 2015