Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > which is correct to say    

which is correct to say

slavchik
Russian Federation

which is correct to say

i came to live here two months ago. so, I have lived here for two months or I have been living here for two month. Explain please!

12 Nov 2015      

Teacher Maira
Brazil

I would say both are correct. 

12 Nov 2015     

aee.aee
Slovenia

I would also say that both of them are correct. 

However, if I wanted to stress the duration (two months) I would use the continuous form: I �ve been living here for two months 

You can see the difference in meaning:
I have read 30 pages of the book. (if you want to stress the result, accomplishment)
I have been reading for 2 hours.  (if you want to stress the duration)

Some of the sentences are interchangeable (mean the same).

Native speakers, please, help us out here.

Mattea 

12 Nov 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Well, in my opinion, with "live", there is not much difference , although the present perfect continuous aka progressive implies that you live in the place temporarily and have plans to move elsewhere, just like you say "I am living in a hotel" but "I live in an urban area". I would stress, though, that to me the difference is not crucial.

12 Nov 2015     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

almost the same meaning except for " I have been living", I �m sure "living" will continue in the future

12 Nov 2015