Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > what do you think?    

what do you think?

gharbi2009
Tunisia

what do you think?

hi colleagues!

No one can deny how helpful native speakers are in this space. I have learned a lot of things from them since I started reading their comments every time we ask for help. However, I have noticed that the daily use of English doesn �t very often goes hand in hand with the formal English we teach, especially when it concerns grammar. Our students have to sit for exams, so we have to be careful about what grammar rules we should give them. Languages are living things. They evolve and change all the time and this isn �t taken into consideration in exams. That �s why, I don �t tell my students about an informal use if it doesn �t fit with the grammar they study in their textbooks. Am I right or wrong?

14 Nov 2015      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

In my opinion, you are right. We need to teach standard English, or else there will be confusion and communication will suffer. You are right that languages change and evolve. An example is the double negative - everyone uses it now. However, if my students say to me, for example, �I �m not doing nothing, � I know what they mean, but I point out what they should say, because when it comes to writing, the non-standard form will not do. 

14 Nov 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

I can understand your concern, Gharbi, but it shouldn �t be a question of a strict, never-the-twain-shall-meet division between the formal and the informal – both styles belong to Standard English (standard and non-standard usage is a different matter entirely). It should, rather, be about teaching how to recognise and use different tones, styles and registers appropriately. Obviously, if the criterion for a specific task calls for a formal, academical style, then that �s what you teach, and this would include the grammatical structures associated with this style. On the other hand, if your pupils/students are asked to write a letter to, say, a pen-friend, a different register would naturally be required.
Alex 

14 Nov 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Some good points have been raised. Only last week, I observed a lesson where the teacher gave out short extracts written in the local speak and the students had to translate them into standard English. She then had them make a list of where it was appropriate to use the one form (between themselves, on the streets, in text messages etc) and where the other (in the classroom/at interview/at the doctor �s, most other forms of written communication etc....) 
That is easy in our situation as we know the local dialect. I should think that is much more difficult for an EAL teacher in a country where English isn �t the first language because there are so many variations and dialects. I think it �s fair for you to point them out if you see them, but you can �t teach them.

I think you probably did mean non-standard and standard forms, rather than formal and informal?  

Different tones, styles and registers are entirely another thing. 
An interesting post, gharbi. 

14 Nov 2015     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

Hi almaz and cunliffe!

Most ESl teacher find themselves obliged consciously or unconsciously to "adopt"  test-oriented teaching. After all, a second language learner assesses both her teacher and her acquisition of a language via her achievement in tests. I remember while I was in London during a training course with other colleagues, it happened that we were talking with a shop assistant and he asked us if we worked for the BBC. At that time I didn �t understand what the question really implied. Later, I realized that we spoke his language in a strange way for him.That �s why, he asked us such a question. I mean it isn �t enough to know much about a language. More important is knowing what you like from it.  I �m very grateful for many native speakers in ESl who constantly give valuable explanations and sorry for my students as long as they have tests.  I much prefer talking like you, almaz and cunfille rather than Shakespeare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
have a nice weekend

14 Nov 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

gharbi2009,

I would say that the difference is not that dramatic.

Most modern courses have more than enough to offer in order to help students master casual, natural language.
Oxford, McMillan and Pearson Longman are just a few of the publishers offering excellent courses with special focus on the natural language..,

To leave aside the textbooks and courses, the advent of the Internet and social networks has made the communication, style and register quite universal worldwide.

Giorgi

14 Nov 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Hi Gharbi,

I think the answer to your question depends very much on which tests your students are preparing for. I think that most international testing boards take a common-sense approach to language and score the language according to the context that is given for the task. So structures that might not be acceptable in a formal written letter of complaint, for example, would not lose points in a spoken language task where two friends are discussing a topic. Testing bodies should always be held to account for their marking schemes as they can be a major influence on the syllabus.

So whether we like it or not, tests often do influence what and sometimes how we teach, because books are aimed at helping students get a higher score or perhaps simply because the students need a particular certificate for their studies or employment. It can be confusing to students to hear language in songs and movies that is quite different from what they read in their books and as Alex said,  I think part of a teacher �s role is to help them understand those differences - not in terms of which is �better �, but how there are often competing forms of language available to be used in different contexts. Yes, it make learning a little more complicated, but hopefully also more enriching. Languages are living things and need to be nurtured.

This is not of course unique to English. �Diglossia � (which you can Google) is one example of how different forms are used in different situations in other languages too. Perhaps you can think of some in your own mother tongue and use them as examples in the class?

Shakespeare of course had a huge influence on English and still has, but you �re right that he �s probably not a great role model if all you need to do is book some accommodation in London. ;-)

Tap

15 Nov 2015     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

Hi Tap!

Perhaps, as Giorgi said I �m exaggerating things but after spending ages learning English and then teaching it, I found myself like a crawling baby. Actually, I was a bit confused, fearing I might be teaching wrong things. With your help, the picture has become clearer. I now think there is no harm in telling students about the different forms every time an opportunity manifests itself. After all, teachers are no longer the only source of knowledge.  Now and then, I find forms such as I �m gonna...... cose ... �ve gotta ... wanna ....etc in their writing. It will be foolish to continue denying everyday use 
Gharbi

15 Nov 2015