Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please help me    

Please help me

szamoca
Hungary

Please help me

Dear Colleagues,

Could you check this sentence? I would like to elicit  the name of an everyday object at the beginning of lesson to start a new topic. My students are at an intermediate level. So which of our everyday object is this sentence about?

According to a research carried out in 1999 there were 1,1 million users in Hungary. This number has changed to 11,561,890 since then. 

What is the first thing that comes into your mind?

Thanks a lot!

14 Nov 2015      

kohai
Latvia

Mobile phones!?

14 Nov 2015     

szamoca
Hungary

Yes. :-) Thank you!

14 Nov 2015     

Rachid84b
Morocco

Internet

14 Nov 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

When I saw "users" without a context, the first thing I thought of was drugs. Then I remembered the size of the population in Hungary and the second thing I thought of was cell phones. :-)

I wonder if the second figure (over 11 million) is actually cell phones in circulation, or subscriptions? Otherwise, there are more "cell phone users" than people in Hungary. Of course some people could be using 3 or 4 phones, but the first sentence is about the number of people who are using at least one, so it �s a bit confusing.

15 Nov 2015     

douglas
United States

I think I would drop the "a" in "a research"--According to research carried out...

16 Nov 2015     

szamoca
Hungary

Thanks all of you! You helped me a lot:

16 Nov 2015