Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > AWARD - PRIZE - REWARD    

AWARD - PRIZE - REWARD

gulsahbilge67
Turkey

AWARD - PRIZE - REWARD

Hi! I �m a bit confused and need help. What are the exact meanings of AWARD - PRIZE - REWARD? I know prize is for academic work and award is for sportive success and reward is in return for effort. But I would like to learn the differences in more details. Especially the native speakers, I �d appreciate if you make it more clear. Thanks !

15 Nov 2015      

JBASINGA
United Kingdom

Award = to give something as an official recognition to someone to give them honour for what they have achieved. So you can award somebody without giving them a prize, i,e, a certificate.  To award someone is the verb.
Reward = a thing given in recognition of service, effort, or achievement.  This is usually something physical.  
Prize = is the actual object given for any of the above.  Such as money or  a medal
Hope that helps! 

16 Nov 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

I�d agree with what Joanna said and they are helpful distinctions. You can always find exceptions, but you could draw a semantic grid to help distinguish them (it�s a bit hard to do in forum posts because of the formatting, but hopefully you�ll get the idea...). Perhaps other colleagues could add to/improve the grid below. More crosses mean a stronger association.

More formal situations   Physical object   Involves a ceremony   Ad hoc/spontaneous
AWARD            xxxxx                             xx                       xxxxx                           -
REWARD         x                                     xxxx                   x                                  xxxxx
PRIZE               xxx                                 xxxxx                  xxx                              xxx

When you have a bunch of words that have very similar meanings, I find it useful to check not just the ordinary dictionary, but a collocations dictionary to get a better feeling of how the words are used and who their �best friends� are :-)

Tap

16 Nov 2015     

Jayho
Australia

Tap, that�s a really great way to present it!

16 Nov 2015     

gulsahbilge67
Turkey

Dear Jbasinga and Tapioca,

Thank you so much for your precious contributions. It �s much more clear now. 

Such meaning gaps stem from cultural differences, indeed.

Instead of these 3 different words, we have just one word in Turkish that gains meaning in accordance with the context                                  

Thanks, again!

Greetings from Turkey,

Gül�ah 

17 Nov 2015