Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > words which are not easy to be found in a dictionary    

words which are not easy to be found in a dictionary

monder78
Poland

words which are not easy to be found in a dictionary

Hello

I �ve come across a few words recently but I� have some problems with using them properly in a sentence . Please give me an exemplary sentence with the following ones� : replaceably, representatively, responsively, inflatably, and finally surveying and misunderstanding as�adjectives.� Thx for your kind help

21 Nov 2015      

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Wow, that �s quite a heterogeneously awkward bunch of words there. I can quite confidently say that I have never used half of them in my life, and I think your students could probably survive without knowing how to use them ;-) I �d be tempted to brush them under the schoolroom carpet if I were you. But you �re a primary school teacher, so I �m guessing these words are for your own interest? Where have you come across these?

�Misunderstanding � is something I know a lot about, but I don �t think I �ve used it as an adjective.

I �d love to see some examples of sentences with �inflatably � in them myself!

Have you tried Google and a bigger dictionary?

Tap

21 Nov 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Monder,

Well I like a challenge on a Sunday morning (as it is here) so I got thinking about �inflatably. � Nothing. Then I googled it and the only hit I got was your comment! So like Tap, I �d love to hear that in a sentence. Can anyone pick up the gauntlet?  
The others...Mmm, I �ll have a think after another coffee. Sorry not to be more helpful at the moment. 

22 Nov 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Yeah, it has really been bugging me too.

The only thing I thought of was a love letter from one airship to another:

14 February, 1929

Dear USS Los Angeles ZR-3,

I have admired your sleek lines and Maybach engines from afar for these many years. The sight of your gondola makes me feel like I am full of helium and floating among the clouds. I know I am just a blimp and not worthy of your attention but I feel the time has come to declare my love. Please don’t think this is just hot air. I want to spend my life with you and have many many party balloons.

I enclose a recent picture for your consideration.

Yours inflatably,

The Goodyear Blimp Pilgrim

PS I wrote this poem for you.

When you are old and navy grey and full of hydrogen,
And nodding by the hangar, take down this blimp,
And slowly deflate, and dream of the soft look
Your gondola portholes had once, and of their shadows deep;

How many loved your moments of glad grace,
And loved your beauty with love false or true,
But one airship loved the pilgrim soul in you,
And loved the sorrows of your changing envelope;

And bending down beside the docking tower,
Murmur, a little sadly, how Love fled
And floated above the mountains overhead
And hid her face amid a crowd of stars.

22 Nov 2015     

SVieira
Portugal

Hi, Monder.

Well, you have chosen a truly interesting (=difficult) group of words to deal with! And on a rainy Sunday morning, thinking about it can turn out to be a great challenge (using Cunliffe’s word - it was an excellent way to put it).

I cannot help you with all of them, but regarding “responsively”, I tried to come up myself with a sentence containing it, and I ended up with “Acting responsively can be an excellent asset to a teacher when it comes to dealing with insecure students who lack motivation to participate in class.”

But looking it up on Google, I came across some blogs that use the word (but not in complete sentences) and some specific examples of how the word is used in literature.

Here you have the links to the word being used in blogs:

https://davidwalsh.name/design-responsively

http://buildright.io/build-responsively

http://dressresponsively.com/

And the examples of the word used in literature are provided here (just scroll all the way down to “References in classic literature”):

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/responsively

Regarding “surveying” being used as an adjective, it will probably be possible in American and in Australian English (check the final definition of “survey” as a noun in http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/survey?q=surveying ) in something like “After the explosion, a surveying team was summoned to the location to assess the damages caused to the structure of the building”.

Sandra

22 Nov 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Sandra I am just in awe of your erudition and dedication!

I think this could be more fun than the caption competition.... :-p

I remembered that a friend of my parents had a heart attack in September and he was telling us how the surgeons fixed him (I had trouble not fainting while listening to it, but he was a doctor himself, so he seemed to enjoy the nitty gritty). Anyway, long and short, (stop reading now if you �re squeamish like me) they deployed a stent INFLATABLY in his coronary artery, using a small balloon, through a long catheter inserted in an artery in his arm. Amazing isn �t it?

Apparently, if they can get you on the operating table within about 2 hours of the cardiac arrest, they can use this method (otherwise I think they have to do open heart surgery). So it �s important to recognise that it �s a heart attack, get the ambulance quickly and be within reach of a good surgeon! Dialling the Australian emergency services might not be a good idea if you �re in the Northern Hemisphere though.

Sorry about my fixation with that one word, but I just like it!

Tap

22 Nov 2015     

monder78
Poland

Let me thank you so much for your comments , all of them  were very helpful  indeed. :)

22 Nov 2015     

Jayho
Australia

Hi monder 78

Where did you come across these words? They are most unusual.

Here�s my 2 cents worth:

replaceably - is it a word at all?
representatively - this is an adverb but not widely used
inflatably - is it a word at all? 
surveying - survey(ing) equipment/instruments/expert
misunderstanding - the adjectival form is misunderstood

Cheers

Jayho

22 Nov 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

All that for 2 cents?? Could I get 250 adjectives for a dollar? ;-)

I wonder if you might say:

"What was the problem with Julia?"
"Oh it was just a misunderstanding issue"

Yes it sounds weird when you look at it but it �s certainly possible in real life usage.

Inflatably is definitely a word. Very hard to use, but definitely a word :-)) A wonderful one. I �ve used it twice in my life so far and am going to look for more opportunities.

And replaceably....how about �You can use the hoe and rake attachments replaceably"?

Tap

23 Nov 2015