Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > CLASSROOM LANGUAGE    

CLASSROOM LANGUAGE

Yolandaprieto
Spain

CLASSROOM LANGUAGE

Hello everybody,

I would like to know what is the expression you would use in the following context: you want to give your students a photocopy each and to save time, you give a little heap to the students at the front row. What do you say to those students to make them pick one and pass the others to the rest of the students behind him/her?
I hope you canunderstand my question.
Thanks in advance
Yolanda

24 Nov 2015      

David Lisgo
Japan

"Take one and pass them back/around."

24 Nov 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

I don�t usually work with �rows� as such nowadays, but I�d say something along the lines of "take one and pass the rest on/round/back" � usually accompanied by a gesture, depending on the layout.

Oh, and I normally have them counted out in advance, appropriate to the groups/rows. 

Alex 

24 Nov 2015     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Yolanda

I work with groups of 4 or 6.  I pass half of my pile to one group at the front and the other half to a group at the front on the other side of the room and say "take one and pass them on".

Cheers

Jayho

24 Nov 2015     

asungilsanz
Spain

Hello!

Thanks for these useful answers.

But what about the other way around? The students have finished a test and you want them to collect their exam papers giving it to the person in front. Is there a good way to express this instruction?

Thanks

24 Nov 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

If it�s an exam and you�re the only invigilator, collect them yourself. If you ask them to pass them forward, you often find students checking each other�s scripts before it gets to you. Not an ideal situation.

24 Nov 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Pass them forward. 
Pass your papers to the front, please. 

24 Nov 2015     

asungilsanz
Spain

Thank you very much for your answers

25 Nov 2015