Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Idioms    

Idioms

makibg15
Croatia

Idioms

I had a bit of an awkward situation in my C2 (proficiency) level class yesterday. One one my students was appalled by the content of the book (Proficiency Masterclass). To be specific, by the list of expressions with run, look and catch. One expression in particular to look like a drowned rat. She said she was informed (by a member of her family who studied at Oxford) that the expression is highly insulting and that I should be aware of such things. Is the expression really that insulting in England?

24 Nov 2015      

FrauSue
France

It �s not particularly rude but I wouldn �t say it to anyone other than a member of my family or a very good friend! But if someone comes in after a really heavy rainstorm and is soaking wet, I would use it without hesitation.

24 Nov 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Hi, Mary. I don�t find the expression remotely insulting or rude either (mind you most insults are water off a duck�s back to me). It�s just a harmless idiom which you might use about someone who�s been caught in heavy rain. 

I�d love to know what other expressions from the textbook your student finds "appalling".

Alex 

PS I love your cakes... 

24 Nov 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Hi, Mary.

I do not find the idiom insulting or offensive either.

Like any other idiom, it needs a specific context, I mean you would not use the idiom in a formal speech or situation.

Imagine an email to your boss:

"Dear Sir,

I am sorry that our open air event was  cancelled due to bad weather conditions.
All the attendees looked wet like drowned rats :D "

Cheers,

Giorgi 

24 Nov 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Agree with the others. It isn �t insulting; it �s quite a fun expression. In my experience, people usually say it about themselves. �I look/must look like a drowned rat! � It isn �t something that you would remark to a stranger though, or to your principal. It does imply a certain familiarity. 

24 Nov 2015     

makibg15
Croatia

Thank you for all your comments and help. I was taken aback by her reaction , but I thought it might have a different meaning that the one offered in the book. Other examples included look down your nose at, look a gift horse in the mouth, catch somebody red-handed....these expressions are also known in my native language. But she was especially concerned with the drowned rat. Thank you again for all the help

24 Nov 2015