Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Past simple or past perfect?    

Past simple or past perfect?

alien boy
Japan

Your example is quite good, Tapioca, but you have used an explicitly past perfect example answer to justify your response. It�s�an equally ambiguous example as that presented initially.

Also, given the length of the journey, and no other indicators regarding how the journey took place (e.g driving, flying, by train), it�s extremely unclear where the logic�would apply most appropriately. Going from Australia or Japan to another country would require either a plane or a boat, so my first�thought would be a plane (because of where I �m from & where I live), so that is why, to me, it �s logical that the�traffic issues arise after disembarking in Spain. If it were in Australia, an 18 hour drive wouldn �t get you from the east coast to the west coast, so traffic issues would be assumed to be during the journey.
In Europe, though, I do understand that an 18 hour drive will potentially take you through many countries! Perhaps we�re both guilty of making geographic assumptions ;)�

My support is for the student simply because it is an�ambiguous gap fill exercise. Unless the students were explicitly told where past perfect and simple past tenses were to be used, the student is in the right to say�that simple past is appropriate, and should not be marked down because of that.
In language teaching, I often�heard it expressed that simplicity is the most sure way of clear communication. Often (according to many lecturers & teachers I have met here, let�alone direct personal experiences) language learners try to use more complex grammar than is actually required for clear communication. If teaching, exercises and tests aren �t explicit in their objectives and desired outcomes, then complexity in grammar�actually creates�difficulties in communication.
�Cheers,
AB�
P.S. I said nothing about �most likely�, just logical structure and how to clarify the passage.

30 Nov 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Hi Bryce,

Damn, you spotted that! ;-)

Yes, I vividly remember those 18-hour family journeys across Europe in the back of a Mini, with a suitcase between my sister and me, so that we couldn’t kill each other ;-). You’re absolutely right that it hadn’t crossed my mind they could have been travelling from the Southern Hemisphere by plane to Spain and that does offer a new perspective, though I’m still holding out that given the two options, you’d be pretty unlikely to narrate a series of mishaps in that way, using the word “When” to mark the time.

I think I’d normally agree with you to allow for some leeway given that there is some ambiguity. If it’s a test then it’s not a very good one because of this. I was thinking it was just a class exercise for some practice of the past perfect. Although we both came at the text with different assumptions based on geography, I don’t think this is an example of an item testing cultural/geographic knowledge instead of language.

Let me try one more thing: let’s assume for a moment that the writer was intending to elicit simple past for gaps 2 to 5. Let’s also assume you’re evaluating this material as a publisher. Neither would be perfect and you’d want to edit either version, but could you say which one would be more useful, as it stands, in a classroom?

If it’s wrong to assume that the mishaps occurred before their arrival, is it not ‘more wrong’ to present a series of events which must have taken many hours (seven traffic jams, yikes!) as a plain list using simple past with “when” as the time marker? You’ve convinced me that it’s a ‘possible’ interpretation. What I’m holding out on is whether it’s the (rather than �a �) ‘logical’ interpretation.

Just re-pasting the text to save anyone who might be interested in paging back to find it. I think it �s really interesting, but I expect it �s just the two of us though by now :-)).

When the Baker family ______ 1 (arrive) in Spain after an eighteen-hour journey, they ______ 2 (have) two breakdowns, _______ 3 (lose) their way three times,  _______ 4 (be) in seven traffic jams and _______ 5 (have) a minor accident. They _______ 6 (be) all absolutely exhausted. And then they _______ 7 (discover) that they _______ 8 (leave) the name and address of their hotel at home. ...

I agree very much with and liked what you say about clarity of communication. It’s difficult for material writers to create material for students to learn, practice or be graded on particular facets of language and sometimes they do create texts which are unnecessarily complex and often seem artificed. I’d draw a distinction between practice materials and tests though. As a test this text would not work, but as practice material for the past perfect, although it could be improved, I think it’s okay for classroom use.

Tap

1 Dec 2015     

alien boy
Japan

Hi Tap,

thanks for the reply!

On the logic front the problem is not the �When � but the �after �, followed by the list. It can be understood to mean the sequence is listed chronologically because there is nothing explicit to determine that the events occurred during the 18 hour journey. This is why, to me, even as an exercise, the passage is not explicit enough (of itself) to be interpreted as events happening during the journey without further contextual determinants. Even the use of past perfect in (8) lends itself to and reenforces this �after � chronological structure.

I did ask several other teachers what they thought, and received essentially the same response about the structure and assumptions. Mind you, none of us are European, so there will undoubtedly be underlying geographic assumptions that influence our interpretations.

It �s not so much to do with �wrongness � of answer, but far more about how to provide clear examples in order to model effective communication to our students. Unless we �re training the politicians of the future, we really should be aiming at unambiguous communications & understanding.

Have a good night or day as the case may be!
AB

1 Dec 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Still long, cold, rainy hours of daylight here before the night falls and I can get home and light the log fire!

Yeah, I think our difference hinges on whether the word �after � is an anaphoric or cataphoric reference.

Tap

PS FINALLY, I get to use those two words that I learned during my Applied Linguistics studies. Weird, but they never seemed easy to pop into everyday conversation before. :-))

PPS Apologies to Oto for hijacking his post! :-))

1 Dec 2015     

< Previous   1    2