Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Do swimming?????    

Do swimming?????

class centre
Belarus

Do swimming?????

Dear teachers! Please - is it absolutely impossible to use DO swimming? Or are there situations when it could be possible?

Thanks a lot.

2 Dec 2015      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It is usually �go swimming � (implies practice),  �go for a swim/have a swim � (bit of fun), or just �swims � of course.  If swimming class/lesson is implied, then I think do swimming would not frighten the horses. My daughter does judo on Tuesdays and she does swimming on Wednesdays. That is fine. English is very flexible in my neck of the woods (England). It might be different elsewhere. 

Lynne 

2 Dec 2015     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Lynne that "do swimming" doesn �t break any rules, but it immediately identifies you as probably a non-native speaker. She mentioned a class or lessons. In that case, "have swimming" might be more likely, as in "What days do you have swimming?", but "What days do you do swimming?" doesn �t sound totally unnatural - just not usual.

Bruce

2 Dec 2015     

class centre
Belarus

Thank you so much dear friends! I needed it badly to answer properly one of my students � question. 

Now I am far more confident.

2 Dec 2015