Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > the difference between Festivals and Ceremonies    

the difference between Festivals and Ceremonies

gooya
Iran

the difference between Festivals and Ceremonies

Hello My dear Colleagues.
I have a question.What �s the difference between festivals and Ceremonies and how I can say this to my students.
Best

6 Dec 2015      

MarionG
Netherlands

fes·ti·val
ˈfestəvəl/
noun
  1. a day or period of celebration, typically a religious commemoration.
    "a tabulation of saints � days and other festivals"
    synonyms:fair, carnival, fiesta, jamboree, celebrations, festivities, fest More
    • an annual celebration or anniversary.
      "highlights of this year �s pumpkin festival"
    • an organized series of concerts, plays, or movies, typically one held annually in the same place.
      "numbers that are still heard at traditional jazz festivals"
cer·e·mo·ny
ˈserəˌmōnē/
noun
  1. 1.
    a formal religious or public occasion, typically one celebrating a particular event or anniversary.
    "the winners were presented with their prizes at a special ceremony"
  2. 2.
    the ritual observances and procedures performed at grand and formal occasions.
    "the new Queen was proclaimed with due ceremony"
    synonyms:pomp, protocol, formalities, niceties, decorum, etiquette, punctilio,politesse
    "the new queen was proclaimed with due ceremony"
I think the main difference is that in a festival, the emphasis is on the celebration part , whereas a ceremony is a more formal event with emphasis on the procedure.
Hope this helps 

6 Dec 2015     

gulgunmurat
Turkey

Festivals generally include eating, drinking, dance, music, joy or happiness. However, this is not always true for a "ceremony". After a person �s death, you can hold a religious ceremony, and of course it is not an enjoyable event. Beside this, ceremonies are formal whereas festivals are generally informal. 

6 Dec 2015