Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Help please    

Help please

DiianaSua
Mexico

Help please

I �m 18 years old and I �m an english teacher.... Next year i �m going to the University ... So I got two 8-year-old pupils and I �m having problems with the verb to be... What games could I do so they don �t forget it?

9 Dec 2015      

spinney
United Kingdom

20 questions with famous people. They can only respond with yes, he is or no, he isn �t.
e.g. Is he a man?
        No, she isn �t?
       Is she from Europe?
       Yes, she is. 
      Is she from the north of Europe?  ... etc 
I always use that with beginners and it works a treat. Problem is, with 8-year-olds, you may have to use fictional TV characters rather than real famous people. 

9 Dec 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Hi Diana,

Is their problem learning the full conjugation (am/are/is?) or using it (as opposed to leaving it out completely) in constructions like �I am learning English �?

I agree with Dale that 8-year-olds don �t have a lot of real-world knowledge they can use for 20 Questions - or at least none that I also share! :-))

You could make �Snap � cards (do you know that game? These are the rules with conventional cards) with a pile of subjects (I/you/she/Juan/Pilar - you can either write the words or use pictures) and a pile of verbs (am/are/is) and when they each put down MATCHING pairs, they have to shout out the two words (e.g. "YOU ARE!!!) and the first one to do that correctly takes all the cards underneath. They continue putting down cards and the winner is the one who gets all the cards. If one shouts a pair (�WE IS!) that does not match, the cards go to the other player.

Tap

PS From your profile photo, it looks like you are also having problems with gravity?

9 Dec 2015     

DiianaSua
Mexico

thank you both...  the problem is that I play with them and they seem to learn but then the next class I ask them about we saw last class and they don´t remember ! I even made cards with their own photos. 
We are in verb to be (positive, negative and question) and is difficult for them to remember the negative :( so i don´t know what to do... I think Spinney �s idea it �s good but first they need remember very good the verb. I �ve never had pupils so young... i got other with 10 and 11 and i haven´t got problems with them 

And yes, I have very bad problems with gravity in my photo hahahaa ;D 

9 Dec 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Well you �re doing the right things, even using personalisation, which normally helps people remember. How about using absurdity?

People remember very odd things or funny things better because they stand out from everyday things.

So, this is just an idea, but how about card pictures of things like a camel, hippopotamus, chicken, monkey and they can say "I �m not a giraffe!" and "She is a monkey!" The funnier the pictures, the better.

I wonder also if some other colleagues have a favourite song that might help you? 

Failing that, I recommend emotional blackmail. Show them you �re really sad they didn �t remember after all those fun games you put your heart and soul into.

Tap

9 Dec 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Did you also try searching the worksheets? Might be something there that you like.

Here is the search result list done for you.

Tap

9 Dec 2015     

DiianaSua
Mexico

Thank you so muuuch for your advices!! I �ll do it, thanks again!!! :D 

9 Dec 2015     

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

Hi Tap,

I love your idea of using snap for conjugation of the be verb - it has got me thinking of other possibilities of using it like collocations, adjectives + nouns, adverbs + verbs, modals + infinitives etc.

Cheers, 

Terri 

9 Dec 2015