Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Felafel فلافل and Fava Beans فول    

Felafel فلافل and Fava Beans فول

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Sorry, I know this is not about teaching language, but about cooking but I noticed that there were lots of teachers here from the Middle East.

I need some help from colleagues in Egypt or maybe somewhere else in the Middle East. :-)

I want to make felafel, but with Fava beans (and not with chickpeas/garbanzo beans).

I read an article recently that said felafel is better with Fava beans (I think this is فول in Arabic), instead of chickpeas (Maybe حمص شائع in Arabic?) or mixed together. The article says that this is how felafel is made in Egypt.

Dried Fava beans

So I want to try making it and I bought some dried Fava beans. I am planning to soak them and take off the skin before I cook them.

I also read that there is an illness (‘favism’) and if you have this glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency, then eating these beans can be dangerous. When I asked a cook in Greece last week if they ever used Fava beans instead of chickpeas, she immediately said no because of the danger of this illness.

My questions:

1. Do you use fava beans for felafel at home?
2. Do you always take the skin off the beans?
3. Do you mix Fava beans and chick peas? 50/50?
4. What do you think about the ‘favism’ risk?
5. Any other tips?

Thank you!

Tap

9 Dec 2015      

gharbi2009
Tunisia

Hi Tap!

I �m not Egyptian, so I don �t know how it is prepared in Egypt. In Tunisia, not far from Egypt, we eat a lot of fava beans and it is the first time I have heard they cause �favism �. On the contray, it is believed here that they are rich in �iron �. That �s why, when a woman gives birth, fava beans are cooked with other ingredients, among them chick peas, to help the new mother quickly regain health. For day-to-day cooking, beans are boiled with the skin for sometime meanwhile some salt is added. Before eating, people usually spread some caraway on them. Some prefer eating with skin, others take off the skin. If you are interested in knowing how felafel is cooked and there is no contribution from an Egyptian colleague, I will ask and send you the recipe.
Cheers

10 Dec 2015     

anamarpupita
Argentina

Hi!  My name is Marcela from Argentina. Let me tell you that I live in a province at the very north of Argentina where the climate is quite dry with extremes temperatures. These fava beans are grown in these kinds of desertic climates. I must tell you I love them!! They are delicious. How I cook them? First I boil them. remember they are beans in the end and they need some time to get  tender. Just take care that they do not "explode". Never take off the skin before boiling them. Once they are tender enough, have them get warm or even cold (depending on your preference) and get ready for the funnier part!  Peeling them:  Take one fava bean, and with your thumb nail open the fava bean from the top taking out that "brown line" that you see. Open it wide enough sio that it allows the bean inside come out easily. How? once you open the top, press the very bottom of it, using your thumb and pointer and PLOP!!!  it will jump out!!!  they are deelicious! I eat them as soon as they come out together with goat cheese and corn. I also use them in salads. 
I ve never heard of any danger coming from eating fava beans.  On the contrary, native people are the main consumers. fava beans are considered to be very nutritious and healthy.

hope it helps! 

10 Dec 2015     

Mariethe House
France

Hi tap. I read an article in French and they say it �s a genetic deficiency . No more than 250000 out of a population of 60 million...., so I guess it isn �t a very common illness. I don �t know who you �re going to cook it for but if people are allergic to "favas" they probably know about it.

I am not , so may I come and try your dish? I love "favas" and it sounds delicious......

10 Dec 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Wow, some very useful information, thank you!

@Gharbi, yes please - it looks like there are no replies from colleagues in Egypt so I would really appreciate a Tunisian felafel recipe. I like the idea of caraway seeds too. Do you mash the beans up before adding the caraway, kind of like a �ful medames �?

@Ana - thank you so much! Your instructions are very clear and very helpful! You have probably saved me from an exploding bean catastrophe in my kitchen! ;-) I read that in South America, they often deep fry these beans and eat them as snack like crisps, with salt. I bought some recently prepared that way and they were very tasty.

@Mariethe - that �s interesting to know, thank you! I suspected that it was one of those exaggerated rumours, (I have grown my own fava beans and eaten them before and I am still alive) but I didn �t want to kill anyone! ;-) You are very welcome to try my felafel when it �s ready - would you prefer me to send it as a Powerpoint or a Word Document? Word is quicker, but Powerpoint holds the flavour for longer

Tap

11 Dec 2015     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

Falefel recipe :  

Ingredient : 1) quarter cup of fresh parsley 2)Two glasses and a half of beans without peel 3) ¼ cup green coriander and dill  4) eight cloves of garlic                                                                                                                                                                5) teaspoon dried coriander 6) medium chopped onion chopped 7)     ¼ teaspoon chilli Pepper 8)   quarter teaspoon ground cumin 9) tablespoon water                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         10)half a teaspoon carbonate soda 11) quarter Bharat teaspoon 12) salt 13) oil for frying 13) ½ cup of leek14) sesame balls for garnish                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

How to prepare:

1-    Wash beans and soak for 8 hours, taking into account changing the water every now and then

2-    wash well the beans  and leave them to drain

3-    mix the beans with all vegetables

4-    grind all in a meat grinder till they become tender

5-    dissolve soda carbonate in  water and add it to the mixture

6-    add the spices and turn over well

7-    put oil in frying pan and heat it with medium fire until it reaches 350 F

8-    form falafel doughs of 3 centimeter diameter

9-    decorate the doughs with a little sesame 10)  fry in hot oil for 5 minutes, or until it is well-cooked 11)fry in hot oil for 5 minutes, or until it is well-cooked 12) it can be served then with some salads.

11 Dec 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Thank you so much Gharbi! I really appreciate it!

Tap

11 Dec 2015