Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need help    

I need help

lovely mimou
Tunisia

I need help

hi everyone! I �m a bit confused and I need your help. Is this sentence correct "I go late to school"? ( the position of "late in the sentence) .thanks in advance

10 Dec 2015      

franpancho
Spain

I would never use�that expression if�I wanted to say that. Maybe a native speaker will explain the grammar, but it sounds awkward to me. Instead I would use "I am late for school."

However, I�think it �s right to say something like "go late to bed," or even "arrive late at/to/for school."�(not so sure which one is better here)�

10 Dec 2015     

David Lisgo
Japan

No problem with the sentence for me, though the writer could say "I go late to school every day/ on Mondays (because first period is English)." or many other clarifications.

10 Dec 2015     

yanogator
United States

Yes, as David said, since the smple present is for repeated/regular activity, it needs some kind of time expression.

Bruce

10 Dec 2015     

frere
Albania

Uncle David and don Francisco,

I do not agree with either of you. Furthermore, it depends on whether the subject is regularly late or if they are just late today.

I am late for school. / I �ll be late for school / I �m going to be late

I usually/always go to school late. I am usually/always late for school

10 Dec 2015     

yanogator
United States

@frere,
They were keeping the simple present tense, as in the original.

Bruce

10 Dec 2015     

douglas
United States

Funny: For me it sounds completely wrong and should be : "I go to school late (everyday)."

11 Dec 2015     

alien boy
Japan

I �m with you on that one, Douglas.

Cheers,

AB 

11 Dec 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Nope, I �m with David here, but I think there �s a subtle difference in meaning.

In some countries, there are not enough school buildings and some groups go to school in the morning and others in the afternoon. In a situation like that, "I go late to school (the afternoon session)" as opposed to "I go early to school" sounds acceptable to me.

�I go to school late � sounds like �I go after the correct time �, whereas "I go late to school" could easily mean �I go to the later time slot �.

�I tend to go late to the office so that I miss the traffic � suggests that you travel later than other people, but not that you are late for an agreed time to be at the office. Does that make sense?

Tap

11 Dec 2015     

lovely mimou
Tunisia

thank you  for your replies. I �m so grateful. by the way the sentence was written by one of my pupils. (I don �t go late to school ). I just wanted to make sure if "late" can be used in that position in the sentence.

11 Dec 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I think that in an advanced exam, that expression might be acceptable - in the situations Tap outlines. Otherwise, it sounds completely wrong. So I �m with Douglas, alienboy, and also frere. 
Sorry uncle David.  

11 Dec 2015     

1    2    Next >