Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Course/exams for Key stage 4 (age 14 - 16)    

Course/exams for Key stage 4 (age 14 - 16)

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Course/exams for Key stage 4 (age 14 - 16)

Hi colleagues,
I �m picking your brains again! My local school is asking about alternative courses and exams for students who have got EAL. (An alternative to English GCSE). IELTs has been mentioned. I �m ashamed to say, I know nothing about it. How can I start to find out about this?  

Edit: Been googling this and I felt shocked Shockedabout the missing apostrophe (below). Is it time to do away with apostrophes?Confused

takeielts.britishcouncil.org/
Take IELTS English test with British Council. IELTS � The worlds leading English test of listening, reading, writing and speaking. Book your IELTS test NOW!

18 Dec 2015      

spinney
United Kingdom

Hope this helps:

I�ve got a couple of books too, if you need them.

18 Dec 2015     

joannajs
Poland

It �s a good test as it measures any language advancement - it � �s like TOEFL in this respect. Thus, you can �t fail it - there are bands from 0 to 9 for skills - reading, writing, listening and speaking. There are two varieties of it: general nd academic and you should give it a serious thought which one to choose. You know your students best and will be a better judge whether your 14 year olds will be able to tackle academic - university level lecture sort of reading. Make sure to look at the samples. Perhaps the general version would be better? On the other hand, many universities require academic IELTS  as an entry test, so you have to think what goald your students want to achieve. Keep in mind that the scores are valid only for 2 years. (Usually to get in, the students need about 6,5 -7.)
IELTS for UKVI is for immigration purposes

You may also consider other Cambridge main suite exams depending on how advanced your students are. I would suggest "for Schools" version. PET for Shools, First for Schools or CAE (it doesn �t have the for schools version). 

Hope I could help :-) 

18 Dec 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Regarding the growing significance of IELTS (a testing system I�m not particularly fond of, incidentally, though I�ve taught it for years), it might also be worth pointing out that new arrangements for "Secure English Language Tests" (SELT) for applicants for settlement or naturalisation in the UK have been in place since April this year. Essentially, the only tests which are now acceptable are IELTS and Trinity CL (forget the Cambridge suite, or SQA, or any of the other exams/qualifications that we may have been using over the years). See here for some background.

According to the Home Office, all applicants "will also be required to demonstrate their English language skills by taking a test at a test centre on the new SELT list. Other English language qualifications will no longer be accepted for this purpose." (my emphasis).

New regulations on tests, test centres etc. are here as well as other relevant info (if you can find the patience ): 

EDIT: and here�s an entertaining wee review today concerning the apostrophe from the Guardian�s Style Guide editor: http://www.theguardian.com/media/mind-your-language/2015/dec/04/at-last-a-book-that-tells-you-exactly-where-to-stick-your-apostrophe

Alex 

18 Dec 2015     

joannajs
Poland

Again, boils down to what �s the purpose of the testing: measuring their language competence or additionally immigration purposes? Guess it �s the former, so you have a lot of options :-)

18 Dec 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Is it time to do away with apostrophes?

It �s an interesting question - mark you, I have a feeling in my colon that it �s too early to make an exclamation about reaching a full stop with apostrophes. We �ve comma long way together, dash it all.

Okay, okay....

18 Dec 2015     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Lynne

IELTS is the primary English test used in Australia. There are loads of great books around that will guide students through the process. It�s important for students to practice the actual test format.

It�s really a test for adults and sections 3 and 4 of the academic test are tailored to the university environment (tutorials, lectures, academic texts). Maybe check out alternatives for secondary students.

FutureLearn has an excellent IELTS preparation course sometimes available (not currently listed) as well as an essay writing course (currently listed) which is ideal for students doing the academic test.

Wikipedia�s site on IELTS gives a good rundown of the test and the official IELTS website is http://www.ielts.org/

There is no pass mark - it�s all about levels.  For example, level 4.5 is survival English and 5 is functional English.  5.5  is generally for entry into post secondary vocational studies and 6.5 for  university (but the academic test, not the general test).

Cheers

Jayho

18 Dec 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi all,

Many thanks for your replies. I am putting together a recommendation for the principal and I might not be recommending IELTs, but I �ll have a good look at everything.
@Tap and almaz re apostrophe�s

Lynne  

19 Dec 2015