Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > have got vs. has got     

have got vs. has got

valodra
France

From what I heard, they have a lobster....

19 Dec 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Well, one of them should just accept ownership and the others can come and visit at the weekends. Then we can all have our lives back.

@Bruce - if I remember you �re a math guy? I was reading an article about the word �because � becoming a preposition as well as a conjunction and when I saw one of the examples, I immediately thought of you. it went something like this:

"I always knew that if you put root beer in a square cup, you would get regular beer. Because math."

I love that! And I actually like how we �ve got a new bit of language to use. Because internet.

Tap

19 Dec 2015     

valodra
France

The weekend visitors do appreciate show-offs _ part of our busy time ...

Sorry for not being efficient ! ...according to your standards,.....

Val 

19 Dec 2015     

tareq
Egypt

Hi everyone ,

it is a great discussion in here but I want to add that the auxiliary or the helping verb you ask with should follow the first subject > That is all. so you should say has she and her brothers(that is 100 % right )or  have they so and so and that is right also

19 Dec 2015     

silvanija
Lithuania

Thank you for your ideas,Tareq. What you say contradicts Tapioca �s explanation though and now I don �t know how to correct my students � mistakes again. 

19 Dec 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Well, there �s a link in my earlier post about this which I think supports what I said, but if Tareq can provide some reference, that would be useful. I haven �t found any grammar sources that suggest auxilliary verbs should agree with the �first subject � of a compound subject and that seems pretty arbitrary to me, but I �d be interested to see that if it exists.

Here are some more from me:

If anyone else wants to jump in, please do. The questions is which is correct:

Have Sally and her brothers got a dog?
OR
Has Sally and her brothers got a dog?

I �m sure the second one is not the preferred form.

How about you? 

Tap

19 Dec 2015     

FrauSue
France

I agree that "Have Sally and her brothers..." is the only correct option, as the subject is plural (="they")

Compare it with "Have Sally and Bob got a dog?" or "Are Sally and her family well"?

4 Jan 2016     

< Previous   1    2