Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > does anyone here teach rowdy male teenagers?     

does anyone here teach rowdy male teenagers?

soleole
Uruguay

does anyone here teach rowdy male teenagers?

do you have any tricks to keep them entertained and to keep them interested in grammar???
Mine seem to understand it and then forget by the next class.
I am most likely doing something wrong, so just wanna get some tips/points of view. Sometimes I feel like I �m not doing a very good job with some of them... Cry
thanks!

27 Feb 2009      

Snow- white
Macedonia

I think that you should find a way to teach grammar rules throughsome kind of a game with a competitive note.Boys just like to win,don �t they.And when they win,I �m sure that they will remember at least one thing.:)

27 Feb 2009     

soleole
Uruguay

Good point. I always teach grammar rules and do some sort of active activity afterwards so they can apply it and don �t get bored. I have only done competitive things a couple of times and you �re right. Boys do like to compete. Maybe I should do this more. Thanks :o)

27 Feb 2009     

adina.carril
Spain

I think that you should try to make studing grammar is not as boring as they can think. In my opinion it�s a good option to prepare activities where they can participate actively, in pairs, in groups or as a big group.

kisses

27 Feb 2009     

soleole
Uruguay

thanks guys! all very useful tips.

27 Feb 2009     

MarionG
Netherlands

thte fact that they do not rember the grammar seems to be the least of my problems with rowdy kids.....Amazing how disruptive even only two or three kids can be in an entire class.
anyway. Grammar seems to be the toughest to teach even when the �rowdy � ones are sick or absent for some other reason.....
some things that worked for me...
1. the verb to be works nice with a game of Who am I. One person leaves the room, others decide who s/he is and the person needs to guess by asking yes/no questions (Am I a student in this class. Am I a teacher.... etc. )First play 1st person then 3rd. Same goes for present simple. esp. together with job vocabulary (Do i work with people. Do I sing etc....)
2. The song Tom �s Diner by Suzanne Vega is a wonderful way to practice present progressive without them noticing you �re having a grammar lesson... (I uploaded the lyrics with all the verbs in brackets so they need to write the present progressive form as it appears in the song (which can be downloaded from the net...) It also exposes them to some oldfashioned good music ;) I brought both the original voice-only version as well as the drumbeat cover....
3. Imperatives I taught them by having them work in groups and design posters for classroom behaviour. I brought them lots of markers and glue and stuff and of course huge sheets of paper. The best ones I promised to laminate and hang in class....Worked wonderfully!! They made some amazing posters, learned the imperative and had a good time. (And now when they break the rules, I can refer to the posters they themselves made!!!)
Hope any of this is usefull...........

27 Feb 2009     

soleole
Uruguay

VERY USEFUL THANKS!!!
do you mind me asking how old your students are?

Ps. totally agree about how much only a couple of rowdy ones can disrupt the whole class...

27 Feb 2009