Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > will-future vs going to    

will-future vs going to

tomandmary
Germany

will-future vs going to

How would you explain the different use of the two tenses? Are both choices possible or rather only "going to"?
Have a nice day!

The Movie started at 8 o �clock, it �s nearly a quarter to nine now. We _______________ (be) late. 
We are going to be late. We will be late. ???

9 Jan 2016      

Giulietta66
Switzerland

hi!

I think you should use the present perfect... now it �s a fact: they ARE late...

but if you �d changed your sentence a bit like:

the movie starts in 5 minutes:

1. we are going to be late (plan - quite sure about it)
2. we will be late (prediction - not too sure about it) 

that �s what I think...

it depends what you want to say... but if you ask your students to find the right answer, in that case, you could put absolutely anything in it... it �s the context that tells you what to write.

have a good one 

9 Jan 2016     

tomandmary
Germany

thanks a lot !
I think the German translation leads to the use of a future tense which might be wrong for native speakers. So present perfect would actually be right ...
Enjoy the week-end!

9 Jan 2016     

tomandmary
Germany

thanks a lot !
I think the German translation leads to the use of a future tense which might be wrong for native speakers. So present perfect would actually be right ...
Enjoy the week-end!

9 Jan 2016     

alien boy
Japan

Personally, I �d say they are interchangeable in the rephrased example

The movie starts in 5 minutes:

1. We are going to be late.
2. We will be late. 

�going to �, in this instance, indicates definite signs/probability that the outcome �be late � will occur.  
�Will � is a vey strong word, so as a prediction it indicates a definite rather than an indefinite situation.

In your original example
The Movie started at 8 o �clock, it �s nearly a quarter to nine now. We _______________ (be) late.  

It isn �t a future context, it �s present. We would use something more like �We are already late. � 

Cheers,
AB 

11 Jan 2016