Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > EPI Message to French teachers    

EPI Message to French teachers

valodra
France

EPI Message to French teachers

Hello dear�teachers,

I hope it is not a problem if I am writing to French teachers ...???

As you all know, ( ....) we are preparing EPIs for next year, and I am desperately looking for ideas for second years ( 5� ) : English and French or English and Latin projects....
I thought it could be a nice idea if we could share....
With the Latin teacher, we thought we could work on�" Roman Britain" ( = Bath; Adrian wall etc !)and have the students create a comic strip...)
Any other ideas or exp�riences ? How about English AND French ? Have you already worked on it ???
I thank you�for sharing here,
Have a great weekend,
Val�

9 Jan 2016      

oxXSABXxo
Germany

Well, in 5ème, pupils study the Greek mythology in French lessons so why not working on this?

You can ask them to create their own heroes, myths or legends...etc

They also learn things about the fairy tales which can be a nice topic for introducing the past simple.
Hoping that it has been of some help to you.

9 Jan 2016     

valodra
France

Thx so much for your answer! I know Michelle Henry �s site, but your post is a great help...I hope more teachers will share here ;-)))

Have a great ( & busy !) weekend,

Val 

9 Jan 2016     

maryse pey�
France

Hi Val,

With a French teacher what about the problems of translation. Harry Potter (in my humble opinion) can be a very good example due to the real quality of the French text trying to respect as much as possible the meanings - obvious or not - of the words and proper names...

But you can have short stories (Edgar Poe) for example or Sherlock Holmes...

Hugs.

Maryse.

9 Jan 2016     

valodra
France

Tx Maryse!! It �s a great idea!

I �m glad I �ll be able to suggest a few ideas next Monday! :-)))

I �ll think about Harry Potter ( but our 6° have ALREADY worked a lot about school & Harry Potter - I thought we should change our topics....;-)))
Hugs 
Val

9 Jan 2016     

spied-d-aignel
France

Nice to see we are not the only ones here in Normandy  trying to  figure out these  so called EPIs. I  have  thought over  a project  concerning environment, with the science teacher, have them create a quiz " how green are you?"  to be translated in French : Etes - vous �colo?  Send the pupils interview the  people in our town here on market day  and  do some statistics  based on the results with the technology teacher and  create a little exhibition of thise results and what we should  or shouldn�t , must or mustn�t do to change things.  I had done that with my  class  as PP ( 5eme d �accompagnement)  and it worked very well.We have also considered  doing something  with Harry Potter , yet the problem is that our generations of pupils haven �t really read the books but watched the films!!!Why not think about types of housing  in your region   and the architecture and remains from the past . The thing  is that we are rather desperate  about this new reform and the  loss of hours  in languages . So let �s say we will try our best to offer  interesting things to our pupils!Sylvie

9 Jan 2016     

jcendr
France

Nice to hear about these brilliant EPIs ( LOL) . Well, I have also thought about environment and your idea of interview on market day is quite interesting. With my colleague of English we have considered 2 other topics "charities" and " food" in relation with the history teacher for the 1st one and with the biology teacher and also history/geography teacher for the 2nd one.

I think we are all a little bit desperate about this reform and its consequences...
Good luck for the coming "reunions" about it. Joëlle from The Pays de Loire.

9 Jan 2016     

oxXSABXxo
Germany

Other ideas but not especially for pupils in 5�me: * In 4�me in Biology (SVT) they work on the food and the nutrition, at the end, they even create a menu for the school restaurant. -> Why not study the English gastronomy? * In 3�me they sometimes talk about the clonage. -> In the book "Enjoy English 4�me" you have a nice text about being all the same, that can be interesting. * In 4�me, they learn things about the slavery in History. -> What about talking about the segregation in the U.S.A. * Here, the French teachers, read "Oliver Twist" in 4�me and "Romeo and Juliet" in 3�me. -> You can do something about those books, for example working on The Globe and The Elizabethan theater. * My colleague of English work on extacts of "My Secret War Diary" by Marcia Williams -> That �s perfect for a project with the History teacher in 3�me.

10 Jan 2016     

FrauSue
France

If you decide to do Rome, this BBC site has lots of great resources: http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/topics/zwmpfg8 .
You could also look at some Asterix stories in English, or give the pupils blank Asterix strips and ask them to write the dialogue!

Science is a great subject to do link-ups with. I recently did a project about the solar system with one of my tutees. It �s a good wa to practise big numbers and to do the grammar point of comparatives and superlatives.

For history, you can choose a historical topic and use it to teach or revise the past simple tense. (It �s a lot more interesting than "What I did on my holidays.") 

Why not use a geography topic to bring in the language of cause and effect?

You could also find out if they are studying any English-language  singers in music class and work on a song and discuss the musician �s biography.

10 Jan 2016     

valodra
France

Yes, I thought of Astérix ;-))) Thank you so much for the great BBC link!!! & for your ideas...:-)

Thank you all - and have a great week!

Val 

10 Jan 2016