Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > been or gone?    

been or gone?

Holzauge
Germany

been or gone?

Hi colleagues. Today a stdent of mine wanted to know why is " This is the first time I have ever been  abroad." correct

and   " this is the first time I have ever gone abroad" incorrect. Need your help. Many thanks in advance.

14 Jan 2016      

oxXSABXxo
Germany

been - you come back from abroad

gone - you �re still abroad

14 Jan 2016     

Holzauge
Germany

Loads of thanks.

14 Jan 2016     

lourteacher
Spain

I agree. You have been to a place after you have returned. By the way, my daughter has gone to Britain. she is living in Liverpool at the moment

14 Jan 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

With respect, I would tend to disagree with the formula "been = you come back from abroad; gone = you�re still abroad" as an answer to Holzauge�s query. It obviously works when comparing sentences like "I have been to Berlin" and "I have gone to Berlin", but note that there�s a very specific (present) time marker in the OP�s examples ("this is the first time...ever...") which changes the sense.

"This is the first time I�ve ever been abroad": talking about an existing event (I�m still abroad).

"This is the first time I�ve ever gone abroad": as above, but with the focus more on the actual travelling.

In fact, I might ask lourteacher if this is the first time her daughter has ever been abroad � knowing that she�s still abroad, living in Liverpool.

Alex

15 Jan 2016     

FrauSue
France

Yes - the distinction is that "been" implies that you are still there (This is the first time) and "gone" implies that you went and returned, so we would use past simple: "It was the first time that I had gone abroad".

15 Jan 2016     

zoemorosini
United States

been abroad = you �ve arrived at your destination

gone abroad = you �re still in transit 

15 Jan 2016