Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > using native language and reading text aloud in the classroom    

using native language and reading text aloud in the classroom

tomptefl
Spain

I �ll share what works for me... reading aloud is in my opinion a great way to practise pronunciation. While they read underline in pencil the words they have difficulty with then get the whole class to practice pronouncing those words. You can also then check for vocabulary, are there any new words?

It �s my opinion the only way to understand the way English grammar works is to experience and use the language. You don �t learn a language by listening to the teacher giving explanations. I �ve no problem with my students explaining a form to each other in their own language, so long as they then move on and I hear them producing English and specifically the form we �re working on. There are forms in English that simply don �t exist in other languages. I often bring in real life examples so the students can see how and when the different forms are used. There aren �t always clear rules, it all depends what you want to express or emphasise.

4 Feb 2016     

< Previous   1    2