Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Is Learning letter/sound recognition ESL?    

Is Learning letter/sound recognition ESL?

Cotys
United States

Is Learning letter/sound recognition ESL?

Hello everyone,

I was very surprised when the alphabet cards I posted on the site were removed because they are not considered ESL activity. This is new to me because in the US teaching the names of letters and their sounds is one of the most basic ESL content matter. What is more, we start teaching first letters and their sound, and then reading of short words /CVC/, which are more or less phonetic - thus learning the sounds of the letters is absolutely necessary for teaching reading skills. Phonics are taught to English language learners all though elementary school, and some of the new testing data is based on reading letters and saying their sounds.

However, the fact that my material was not considered ESL made me think that maybe in many countries English phonics are not taught in the ESL curriculum.

Do you teach English phonics in your classes/countries, in which ways, and to what point?

12 Feb 2016      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I fully agree with you that this kind of material should not be removed. My school has just invested a tidy sum to buy in a phonics programme. We have also bought wall charts with phonics displays - for our EAL learners. Of course EAL teachers need to teach the alphabet and phonics. 

12 Feb 2016     

Apodo
Australia

My alphabet bingo game was removed but I couldn �t understand why. I thought pronouncing the letters and recognising the letters when they are heard was pretty basic and it is a fun way to practice them in a group.
I uploaded to another site and it �s been downloaded 1,258 times. 

12 Feb 2016     

alien boy
Japan

Phonics is very important. It �s the base for decoding and encoding the written language! I definitely teach phonics, and usually start the year with a couple of weeks of relativiely intense phonics instuction for my 1st graders. This way we can use phonics in every class and expand over time.

In Japan, come 3rd grade, students learn romaji - the latin alphabet used as a written form of Japanese. This involves yet another phonics sytem based on the same letters! This makes for some interesting dicussions as the students become more independent...

Just out of curiosity, did you include any activities with your alphabet cards?

Cheers,
AB 

12 Feb 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Alien boy, what kind of activities for alphabet cards have you got in mind? I would think they are what they are and the teacher uses them as s/he fancies. I class them as flashcards and as long as there are more than four, they should be accepted. They aren �t, though. I vote against removing this kind of activity and I point out that for students from many countries, the Roman alphabet may be completely new and we need to teach it. 
The good news is, you can get phonics activities elsewhere. And I hope I don�t sound too jaded, but you can get anything else under the sun elsewhere, as well as on here. I am so impressed with members who upload and download ws after ws on topics which have been done to death. It seems our appetite for wss is unquenchable. (I am guilty, too). 

13 Feb 2016     

alien boy
Japan

Agree with you on all counts there Lynne! 😉

13 Feb 2016     

EstherLee76
Peru

I think most teachers on this site do not teach very young learners and don �t understand how something with little or no writing can be extremely useful for those who do.  (This happens not only here but in other environments as well).  I find myself defending these types of activities over and over again.   Unfortunately, I really don �t have time to moderate lately and I wasn �t there to defend your activity, Cotys.  Sorry!

13 Feb 2016     

Minka
Slovenia

Most students the teachers on this site teach can already read in their own language. And if not, they are not usually taught to read in English first. Teaching letters and English spelling to children who can read in another language but not in English is very different from what you teach when you are dealing with children who are native speakers of English. 

13 Feb 2016