Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > s ´ vs s ´s    

s ´ vs s ´s

Gi2gi
Georgia

s ´ vs s ´s

Is there anyone out there who still prefers to write James ´ car, the actress ´ personal life instead of James ´s car, the actress ´s personal life... Do you agree that the former forms are doomed to become obsolete? What about well-established phrases like Jesus ´ cross, Moses ´ journey?   Any dialect-related trends observed?

12 Feb 2016      

Cotys
United States

I think that the former form is a better one, because it ´s next to impossible to pronounce three "s" anyway... Just my opinion anyway 

12 Feb 2016     

Apodo
Australia

I write and say James ´s, actress ´s. Pronunciation no problem, just a small ´uz ´ at the end. The plural of actress (actresses)  would be pronounced the same way. Actually actress has largely been replaced by actor as the non-specific gender word is preferred these days.
In formal writing I would use the traditional Jesus ´ cross, but in speech I ´d probably say Jesus ´s (uz)
I would write and say Moses ´  because Moses ´s (mozuzuz) is hard to say and sounds awkward.

12 Feb 2016     

alien boy
Japan

Have you considered looking at some of the various  ´style manuals ´, Giorgi? There are quite a few around, and can provide you with the generally accepted standards for writing in many different fields.

Here ´s a link that provides information on several contemporary style manuals.

>

Cheers,
AB 

12 Feb 2016     

Mariethe House
France

I quite like this video on the subject:

13 Feb 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I think at the moment, James ´ s car etc is definitely the norm and the other form is doomed; sure is. I wonder how long even James ´s car has got and what will replace it .. Jameses car... something like that. The apostrophe is doomed. believe me. 
Sorry I haven ´t looked at the links; chickens to feed.  

13 Feb 2016     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Just saw all the answers. As I had expected, it is an issue still open to debate. 

Thanks to those who took their time to respond and especially those who expressed their personal attitude :)

Articles/links/style manuals/grammar books tend to become outdated or even obsolete, while a "live" discussion on the forum is always fresh and up-to-date, that was the main reason why I opened the topic.  

Good to see your involvement.

Giorgi

13 Feb 2016     

Mariethe House
France

Sorry for bothering you Giorgi with the wrong type of stuff!

Could you, please, in the future, state what specific answers you are expecting right from the start so that I won ´t bother you with my out dated documents. 

I feel a bit ruffled with your not very considerate answer  .

13 Feb 2016     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Mariethe House, 

I really do not see what you mean  by "more specific"... 
Could you please re-read the original post and point to what you consider is vague or not specific?:)

I thanked everyone for their time and involvement, which means I ´m feeling grateful.

To be frank, I did not look at the links provided, really, it was not something I was asking for.  I could have googled and come across a vast array of sites/wise resources, so on and on ...  but as this message board provides for an opportunity to obtain a "live" feedback I chose to post here :)

Cotys, Apodo, Lynne addressed directly to what I wanted, an answer from a native speaker reflecting their own attitude to a language issue, which was exactly what I wanted and which I clearly stated in my original post (Or it seems to me that there was nothing ambiguous there).

Don ´t really know what makes you feel sulky. And I do not agree with your choice of wording - "not very considerate answer".. Sounds a bit offensive...   I AM thankful to those who took their time and provided the links  or posted something that might be useful to someone    (to be removed later for no obvious reason, though...still wondering why...)  

Have a good evening 

13 Feb 2016     

Mariethe House
France

If you had watched the video I sent you would have seen that it did answer your question.It is an interview of British people , in the street about this issue.Mind you it would have just shown you that in2008 (outdated?) the question about the ´s was already a source of differing. .
Ihad this question asked by some students , not so long ago , I did some research and  and I came across this BBC video ( quite a reliable source, isn ´t it?)which I thought might be useful to you and others whose attention might have been drawn to your thread. 

You are specific at the end of your post when you should have  been  at the beginning. This would have saved me(and others) the pains to look for some material  just to hear that it wasn ´t relevant!

Not to worry. I am an old grumbler.

13 Feb 2016     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Mariethe House,

Once you still maintain

You are specific at the end of your post when you should be at the beginning 

And once you are sure about that my original post was vague  and not specific (which is ridiculous)

Let me repeat what I ´ve already asked you and what you have ignored.
 I am awaiting your answer - 

Could you please re-read the original post and point to what you consider is vague or not specific?

13 Feb 2016     

1    2    3    Next >