Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Class or Grade?    

Class or Grade?

kohai
Latvia

Class or Grade?

�Class 6 or Grade 6? �
 Which of these is the right one to refer to all the students of the class? What is the difference if there any?

14 Feb 2016      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi kohai. In England, talking about all of year 6 (last year of primary, age 10 -11), we say �Year six. � I think Americans say grade 6, for the same age group, but I �m not sure.
Talking to your class, you might address them as �Class 6A �, or whatever they are.  
Lynne 

14 Feb 2016     

melahel7
Canada

Grade 6 would be used in both Canada & U.S

14 Feb 2016     

bjoeskj
Norway

What about 6th Grade?

14 Feb 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Yes, 6th grade in my area of the US.

We address them as 6th graders.

14 Feb 2016     

kohai
Latvia

Thank you Lynne, melahel7, Bj�rnar and Mary for joining in and your help.
So in British English it is Class 6 (or Year 6) and in American/ Canadian English it is Grade 6. And grade 6 means the same as 6th grade.

When I was a student at school in the USSR we used to write Form 6 on our Notebooks. I wonder if this is still acceptable anywhere in the world? 

14 Feb 2016     

alien boy
Japan

Good morning kohai.

I�m from Australia. We use Grade 6 for elementary 6th grade. Back�in the 1970�s, 6th Form was the�final year of high school if you completed 12 years of�elementary and secondary education. These days�the final year is generally called Year 12.
So, these days, Form 6 isn�t used in Australia even though it used to be�back when I�began high school.
Cheers,
AB�

14 Feb 2016     

Manuhk
Hong Kong

Form 6 is still used in Hong Kong, here it is the last level in secondary schools.

14 Feb 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Can I just point out, kohai, that there are four different education systems in the UK, so there is no single common terminology in the UK for the year system.

Here in Scotland, our system tends to be fairly flexible with regard to starting ages. We have both Primary 6 and Primary 7 (sometimes referred to as P6 and P7) covering the age group you�re talking about.

There�s some more detail in this link (with a rough equivalences table for all four UK systems under the �School years� section): 

Alex 

15 Feb 2016     

ldeloresmoore
China

Actually, in the US we say "6th grade", not "grade 6". We never refer to "year ___". 

It took me a while to get used to hearing "grade ___" -- 4 years later, it still sounds backwards to my ear.  I guess it �s just a matter of what you get used to.

15 Feb 2016     

Hadas.H
Israel

also in Israel we say - 6th grade. 

15 Feb 2016     

1    2    Next >