Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Why do you say that? / Why did you say that?    

Why do you say that? / Why did you say that?

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

Now and again I write something as part of some English teaching materials about which I then question myself.

As above.

I wrote it without thinking about it, and it is both natural and correct (at least in British English), but, when I came to write the explanatory notes page, I had to stop and think about it.

I wrote it as part of the dialogue below:

A: Would you believe it?

B: What?

A: My dog.

B: What about him?

A: He thinks he’s a person.

B: Why do you say that?

A: He sleeps in my bedroom, he watches TV with me, and he always eats when I do.

B: It’s not as though you treat him like a dog. You are too soft.

There are similar things that are much easier to explain using only simple English.

For example: Do you know? / Did you know?

Do you know___? (at this present moment)

Ex: Do you know the queen’s husband is from a Greek family?

OR

Did you know___? (Did you know this in the past)

Ex: Did you know the queen’s husband was from a Greek family?

We can use either to ask the same question and, without thinking too deeply about it, might use either one on separate occasions to do so.

What I cannot manage to express using only simple English (not translating into Japanese) is [Why do you say that?] and  [Why did you say that?]

If you can help a teacher suffering from brain-freeze, I know he will be grateful.
Thanks a lot.

23 Feb 2016      

alien boy
Japan

First thing that springs to mind is the difference in question�form.

�

�Do you know ...? � could be answered with a simple �yes�(I do) / no (I didn �t) ��reply.
�
�Why do/did you say that? ��requires a detailed answer.�
�
�or at least that �s how I would look at explaining the difference.
�
Cheers,
AB�
Edit: �Why do/did you say that?� - That is an unusual or strange thing to say. Please tell me why you think it is a true/good/correct thing to say?

23 Feb 2016     

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

Thanks Alien Boy.

�

I say that�[Why do you say that?] as that �s what I would say without thinking.

I know that �s not much of an answer in explanatory terms, but that �s the point here.

�

To me, asking [why did you�say that?] means I want to know the reason the person uttered that sentence, but asking�[Why do you say that?] means I want to know / am more interested in the reason behind that person �s thought - I �d like an explanation.

I have almost answered my own question there by trying to make it clear enough in my mind to be able to offer an answer (or try to).

�

If you say�this to yourself�out load placing emphasis on / with the intonation on�"that",�it may be clearer to you why I feel that it is both natural and correct. Certainly it is grammatically correct, and �natural� only indicates that a native speaker does not think it to be strange.

�

If I have not satisfied you with this answer.... that is because I am still wavering over whether it is as I think it is... which is the point of my post. Thanks again for your thoughts.

EDIT: It just occured to me that if I replace "say" with "think", even in the present tense - especially in the present tense - it makes sense... the state of "thinking that" continues in the present. I will try to forget this for a while or I will just over-think it.

24 Feb 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree - with whatever it is that you are saying or whatever it is that you think you are saying
Using the present is more appealing to/questioning  the frame of mind that produced the utterance - why is that your belief/understanding of the situation. The past simple is concerned with the actual utterance. 

Lynne 

24 Feb 2016     

alien boy
Japan

You �re welcome Matthew. I tend to use �think that � & �say that � almost interchangeably, in your original question forms, in conversation. In written communication I �d generally only use �think that � unless I �m referring to a prior conversation or verbal presentation. I hope that makes some sort of sense!

Lynne: LOL

24 Feb 2016     

yanogator
United States

When you ask "Why do you say that?", your question is about an ongoing belief/thought, so the simple present, being about continuing action, makes sense. You are right, that the question is about the same as "Why do you think that?"

"Why did you say that?", as the others said, is more about the utterance itself, such as if the person being asked had used a word that the questioner finds strange.

Bruce 

24 Feb 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Adding to what the others said, "Why did you say that [terribly rude thing]?" could also speak to the motivation of the speaker, not only his actual word choices. Why did you say that asks for a defense or explanation. Why do you say that asks for an explanation because the questioner wants to understand.the  motivation.

24 Feb 2016     

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

Thank you everyone.

That helps me and makes me feel a little more confident in doing this one only in English.... but my students will give me the �in Japanese, please � eye anyway.
:)

24 Feb 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Why do you say that? = �Why do you believe that? � A usual rendition of this is: �What makes you say that? � 

25 Feb 2016