Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Age in worksheets    

Age in worksheets

natalli
Belarus

Age in worksheets

I wonder where I can find 3-year-old pupils (english learners) who know such prepositions as between, above, in front of as so on?! Kids of such age don �t know the equivalents of such words in their mother tongue!!! So how can I find a worksheet for my 9-year-old pupils who study only 4 prepositions: in, on, under and near??!! Dear members, when you fill in the Age gap, be reasonable!

25 Feb 2016      

kohai
Latvia

Hi natalli!
Well... None of us is perfect... And teaching different points of grammar and vocabulary often depends not only on the age of the students but also on many other aspects...
BTW, I don �t find this topic so difficult to find, e.g., have a look here:

And if you dare to teach one more preposition �behind � you �ll be able to play Preposition Wheel of Fortune Game:

25 Feb 2016     

alien boy
Japan

From my perspective, it�s only on a very rare occasion that I will�hand out a worksheet�exactly as is when�I download it.

I have taught 3 year olds, using TPR methodology,�who can tell the difference between �on top�, �below�,� �in front of�, �behind�, �next to� (rather than �near�) and the like. It doesn�t mean I�d give them a worksheet with reading or writing to do! Nor would I expect them to neatly colour in pictures at that age...

It doesn�t�mean, however, that I wouldn�t use a downloaded printable to provide me with�inspiration�and information that I could use across a wider age range. With the song printables I upload (for example), I�usually try to include ideas that can be applied across quite an age range. This means you could potentially teach a song to 3 or 4 year olds,�but apply the song to teaching other aspects of language at a different age group - especially if they already�know the song.
Just my thoughts, anyway.
Cheers,
AB�

25 Feb 2016     

sarguero
Spain

No worksheets needed  

When I teach IN ON UNDER to the little ones I use my right hand and arm as a �snake� (I call her Federica) and my left hand as a �cave� with my left thumb down and the other fingers as a roof, making a letter C (C for the initial letter of CAVE)

Then I play with �Federica�  

Federica is IN the cave       (I introduce my right hand IN the �cave�)

Federica is walking ON the cave     (I put my right hand and arm ON the �cave� touching the �roof�)

Federica is walking UNDER the cave   (I put my right hand and arm UNDER the �cave�)

After this they play with their own �snakes� with questions about class objects

Where is my pencil? It�s UNDER the chair

NOTE: A funny name for the snake is better to attract their attention.

26 Feb 2016     

kohai
Latvia

Sarguero: I love your idea with Federica! 

I usually teach these prepositions putting the hands ON the table( or desk), IN the pockets and UNDER the table (or desk). Firstly , I show what to do and students repeat the actions slowly, then we do it faster and faster with commands: ON! IN! UNDER! Suddenly I say �STOP! � and then start giving commands slowly again but in mixed order. We have a lot of fun. 

26 Feb 2016     

mfraczek
France

Why not imagine a preposition dance with a gesture corresponding to a preposition?  That �s what I do with my beginners and they really enjoy it . Hope it helps.

26 Feb 2016     

manonski (f)
Canada

When I can �t find what I want here, which is not very often, I make it myself. Problem solved. No need to complain that what people do here does not suit the needs of your students. We come from all over the world. Our students are at different learning places no matter what age their are.

27 Feb 2016