Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teaching ideas for Adults First Class    

Teaching ideas for Adults First Class

Jessisun
Argentina

Teaching ideas for Adults First Class

Hi, everybody.  Next Monday I �m coming back to classes with my adult conversation class. I teach in a private English language school. I know some of my students as I have them from last year, but I know there are some �newbies � that I �d love to get to know them well. Any ideas for this new class? I �d love to have an unforgetable  first class with them!!! :) Thank you so much in advance!!! 

27 Feb 2016      

ninon100
Russian Federation

Bring some onions to class :) Show them to the group and say: PEOPLE ARE ONIONS. WHY?

there might be all sorts of answers: They are good for you; They make you cry; even - They smell :)
Then elicit the word "LAYERS" and say: onions have got layers. What about us? What sort of layers have we got?
Again - all sorts of answers possible.
On the board - write:
Basic facts
Social connections
Character
Dreams and ambitions

Let the Ss work in gr of 2-3-4 people and share something about themselves according to these 4 points. You might provide some structures to use on pre-prepared handouts (not too many).

Follow-up - everyone shares 1 interesting fact about a group mate they �ve spoken to. 

28 Feb 2016     

oxXSABXxo
Germany

Haha dear Ninon, you can �t imagine at which point your idea makes me laugh! But indeed, it �s great and can be soo funny! xD Btw, Jessisun, you can check this site, maybe will you find something in which you can be interested in! Here is the link: http://www.educationworld.com/back_to_school/ Have a nice day, Abiga�l.

28 Feb 2016     

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

Ninon 100, I love your idea.

28 Feb 2016     

shigu
Ukraine

Shrek is not simple, he is like an onion, he has got a lot of layers, smels and makes you cry...

28 Feb 2016     

Traver2000
Puerto Rico

Ninon100, wow!!! I love that activity, I can only imagine the creative responses students will provide.

Jessisum, I taught an intermediate college level class and a first day of class activity  I tried, which a collegue suggested, turned out really effective. I had about 30 students, so I took about 15 strings and held them at the center, leaving 15 halves on one side and 15 on the other. Each students was to grab one end of the string, As each student pulls towards their own direction, strings are supposed to get tangled. Once you let go of the center, students must untangle the strings, without letting go of the strings, so it �s a mystery who �s on the other end of the string. Once students finally identify their peer on the other end, I have them pair up and share basic facts about one another, you may provide specific questions for students to ask one another. It �s an easy going activity, allows students to relax on that first stressful day of class. It gets them laughing first and then sharing. Just a thought... :)

28 Feb 2016     

jhoe
China

Suggested First Class Activities

The following are activities that can be used in your first class 

You may need to adapt the activities to suit the level of your learners and the time you have available. You can use one activity or a number of activities. You are free to use additional / other activities.

In common 

Ask students to sit in pairs. Tell them to find 5 things they have in common and 3 things they don�t have in common. Re-group students and have them repeat the activity with another partner and/or have students report their findings. Be sure to follow with open-class feedback.

Tell me about me

Bring some things to class that have information about you (your passport, your latest plane or train ticket, a book you like, pictures of your loved ones, etc.). Display these things and ask students to work together to build an idea of what you are like as a person. Students do this orally. Feed back in open-class. Do the same in pairs or groups. The students can use the contents of their wallets or handbags as prompts.

A good way to learn English is ï¿½

Give students some sentences related to this topic. Tell them they can agree, disagree or change the sentences. Encourage students to discuss the statements in pairs or small groups ensuring student talking time (STT) is maximised. Below are some examples. You can add your own. This can lead to a class discussion about how to learn a language as well as past experiences of language learning.

A good way to learn English is�

� in class with a professional English teacher.

� in a coffee shop with a native speaker of English who isn�t a teacher.

� living in a country where people speak English.

� doing business in English.

� watching films and TV in English.

� repeating what the teacher says in English.

� keeping a notebook of new words.

� doing English homework (writing and reading) very often.

� having lots of tests in class to help us remember.

� using a bilingual dictionary all the time.

� reading in English.

� speaking in English with other students in the class.

Alternatively, you can choose another topic that you think your students would find engaging.

Variations on the Name Whip

The Name Whip is a quick activity for everyone to get to know each other�s names. One person starts by saying ï¿½My name is ï¿½ï¿½. The next person continues, naming the first person and then themselves, ï¿½His name is ï¿½, my name is ï¿½ï¿½ and so on until the last person has to name everybody. You can vary this by adding more information at the end. Here are some ideas:

� My name is Maria and I like ï¿½

� My names is Carlos, when I was a child they called me Carlitos (nicknames)

� My name is James and I am ï¿½ (job)

� My name is Pawel and I am ï¿½ (dream job)

T-shirt

You will need to prepare your own ï¿½T-shirt� to demonstrate the task. Each student prepares a T-shirt (A4 piece of paper) with 3 drawings and 2 numbers related to their likes, dislikes and personal information. Students mix and mingle to ask questions to establish what the pictures and numbers represent.

Talk when the music stops

Find some lively music. Divide students into two groups (of the same size if possible). The students form two concentric circles. When the music starts, the outer circle moves clockwise whilst the inner circle moves counter-clockwise. When the teacher stops the music, students also stop and face a partner in the other circle. The teacher displays or calls out a topic and the students discuss the topic until the music starts again. Possible topics: weather, hobbies, family, pets, holidays, English lessons, etc. Alternatively, the teacher can set the topics before he/she plays the music to give the students some thinking time before they have to speak.

All the words I know

Give the students 2-5 minutes to write down all the words they can think of connected to a particular topic (e.g. travel, food, etc.). They should do this individually. When the time is up, put the students in pairs. Students take it in turns to define each word on their list so their partner can guess it - they can also draw a picture or use mime/gestures. If, when their partner has guessed it, they both have the same word on their list, they should both cross it off. The winner is the partner with the most original words and you can conduct whole class feedback on these.

Categories

Divide the students into teams, each with a ï¿½runner�. The runner comes to the teacher�s desk and reads the category on the card, e.g.:

5 ways to wake someone up

5 animals you can see on a farm

7 things to do in your city

8 things you can read

7 things that come in pairs

6 reasons for speaking to a stranger

8 things that keep you warm

The runner returns to the group to tell them what the category is. The group must then brainstorm the list. The first group to finish shouts ï¿½stop� and the other teams must put their pens down.

The circle game

Divide the class into groups and ask them to form circles with their chairs (with a small class you can do this as a whole class activity). Ask students to stand up. Remove one chair from each circle so there is now one chair fewer than the number of students in each circle. There are two simple rules. The students cannot sit in the same as they were sitting before and they are not allowed to push or run. One student is chosen to stand in the middle of the circle (or the teacher could do this) and he/she starts things off by saying, for example, ï¿½Everyone wearing glasses, change places�. All the students wearing glasses now have to try and sit in another chair. The person in the middle (if it�s not the teacher) also tries to sit down. There will always be one person left standing and he or she gives the next instruction.

29 Feb 2016