Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Hi!    

Hi!

aura+
Portugal

Hi!

Is this sentence correct?

"The number of people who migrate is more and more increasing."

Would you accept it?

Thanks! 

2 Mar 2016      

titine69
France

Hi!
I would say:there is an increasing number of people who migrate.

Titine 

2 Mar 2016     

georginasantanna
Portugal

Hi!
Personally, I would say "The number of people who migrate is increasing more and more."
I would not accept that sentence because I don �t think it is grammatically correct.

2 Mar 2016     

marzouga
Morocco

I would say:
the number of immigrating peopleis on the rise.
But your sentense is also correct if you say         .....is increasing more and more.

2 Mar 2016     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Georgina - "increasing more and more".

Bruce 

2 Mar 2016     

SM��
Turkey

".... increasing more and more" is what is commonly used.

2 Mar 2016     

alien boy
Japan

"...increasing more and more." would be acceptable.

As I don �t know your student �s age or purpose for studying English, I hope what I suggest next doesn �t cause offense.

If your student is writing for senior high school or university they may want to consider using a different expression to �more and more �. As an expression it is perfectly ok, especially for informal writing.

A more formal expression would be something like
"The number of people who migrate is continually increasing."
or
"The number of people who migrate continues to increase."

Cheers,
AB 

2 Mar 2016     

aura+
Portugal

Thanks!

I didn �t accept it, but the student insisted it is correct because she had checked online and found the sentence, which, in her opinion,  proves the sentence is correct. I tried to explain that we shouldn �t trust everything we read online. I hope she changes her mind after reading all your answers!

2 Mar 2016     

FrauSue
France

Hi there.
I agree with all the above posters.
In addition, your pupil can �t have found the sentence online, because I searched for it (in quotation marks) and the only result is this post. So she must have copied it down incorrectly.

3 Mar 2016     

alien boy
Japan

I have found many instances of "more and more increasing" in an online search. This, however does not make your students sentence either correct or commonly accepted usage. When I used the Google Ngram viewer, it yielded one result in a 100 year search of English language google books!

3 Mar 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

You could have �more and more on the increase �.

3 Mar 2016     

1    2    Next >