Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > how to describe the taste of onion?    

how to describe the taste of onion?

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Douglas and Bruce  
Interesting question, though.  Some onions are sweet. The taste of caramelised onions on puff pastry with goats � cheese is simply divine. I might have that tomorrow. 
Edit: I�ve just remembered - it�s my birthday tomorrow and I�m going out. I�ll be having a spicy prawn noodle dish, followed by banana fritter and ice cream. Diet Saturday!

3 Mar 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

�Oniony� was one of the tastes AB linked to earlier (number 66), and most of us would have little difficulty in identifying an onion by sight, feel or "taste". It�s a universal vegetable, after all. But onions not only come in different shapes, sizes and colours, they can also be distinguished by different smells and flavours as well as tastes - and the effect on your tear ducts. So it might be more productive to describe your onion in terms of its congeners. Here, for example, is a site dedicated to different types of onions: 

3 Mar 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi almaz! That web page is not available. Or can anyone else access it? 

3 Mar 2016     

alien boy
Japan

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-sweet-yel-130223 Hi Lynne. You could copy & paste this. It should work ok.

and here�s another good one http://www.asweetpeachef.com/cooking-101/whats-the-difference-between-onions/

3 Mar 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Cheers, AB. Just realised you included �sweet � in your list. I think I know my onions about onions by now!

3 Mar 2016     

alien boy
Japan

Thanks Lynne :) That was funny & interesting!

In my former career (& also while doing my assorted tertiary studies) I was a chef trained in classical French and Italian cuisines. 16 years in the kitchen. Sometimes I miss it, but then I realise I actually get more of a kick out of being a teacher and actually having a social life too!

3 Mar 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Oops, I�ll try that link again:

�Oniony� was one of the tastes AB linked to earlier (number 66), and most of us would have little difficulty in identifying an onion by sight, feel or "taste". It�s a universal vegetable, after all. But onions not only come in different shapes, sizes and colours, they can also be distinguished by different smells and flavours as well as tastes - and the effect on your tear ducts. So it might be more productive to describe your onion in terms of its congeners. Here, for example, is a site dedicated to different types of onions: 

Incidentally, here�s Michael Quinion on the "mildly juvenile wordplay" of the flapper period which includes phrases like "know one�s onions":

3 Mar 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Wow AB! Trained in classical French and Italian cuisines. You are a man worth knowing! Incidentally, my degree is in French and Italian. I love those countries. I am such an Italophile.  I love the language, the people, the food, the culture... Hope to live there when I retire. 
Lynne 

4 Mar 2016     

< Previous   1    2