Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > True or False?    

True or False?

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Don �t worry kohai, we enjoy this kind of thing! As long as you have got your query sorted... (whatever it was )

6 Mar 2016     

kohai
Latvia

Thanks Lynne! I love you! And this site!
And all the generous helpers here!!!

Edit: We also had another discussion about the same text (Jerry becomes the richest kid...)
does the text mention a person whose situation is about to change? (Yes or No? True or False?)

Your opinions are very welcome, if there any.Smile

6 Mar 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

There�s absolutely no doubt that the text refers to a person whose situation is about to change (Jerry "will wake up a very rich person tomorrow"). Looking at the list of options in the exercise, I�d say that both D and F are much better matches for the text than the one you mentioned in your OP (an inheritance isn�t at all the same thing as a �present�). F is good because Bertha "is unable to take possession of the fortune", i.e."taking possession" is something she cannot do. C is the extra question as far as I can see.

Hope this helps.

Alex 

P.S. For the record, I�d say the other matches are as follows:

1.1: A + G (��2.05� + �Easter�)
1.3: B + I (�president� is a job + an �interplanetary� travel agency is an unusual business))
1.4: E + H (�a backyard near his home� + �animal rights protestors�)

7 Mar 2016     

kohai
Latvia

Dear Alex, thank you so much for taking the task so seriously.

Guess what, you did the exercise exactly the same way and with the same arguments as my best student.. BUT now I am even more confused because the Teacher �s book says that the right answers are

1.1 A +G

1.2 C + F

1.3 D + I

1.4 E + H

B - the extra question

Alex, will you change your thoughts (I suppose, no ,you won �t - the same as my student) or I must change the answers in the TB or both variations of the answers are acceptable???

If anybody has an opinion on this, can you help me??? This is the link to the full exercise (page 2 of the book)

7 Mar 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I have to agree with Alex �s answers because, as he says, an inheritance is not a present.

7 Mar 2016     

kohai
Latvia

Thank you Mary for joining in.  I also think that an inheritance is not a present, at least, not in my mother tongue. That �s why I started this discussion. However, Bruce said it �s OK and Esther made an emphasis on an exceptional gift ...

I also have a doubt about this: If there is mentioned an American ex-president  in the text (text 1.3) can we say that this text mentions the job of the person... (question B)?

7 Mar 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Can I just point out, kohai, that neither Bruce nor Esther had seen the original exercise before they made their comments (I imagine their answers would have been different if they had).

I also asked a colleague (an IELTS examiner) to have a look at the exercise and the TB answers you provided, and we both agree that some of the given answers are clearly wrong and very possibly typos � I�m sure we�ve all had to �edit� course books at some time in our careers. In fact, she pointed out that this was probably the reason you felt it necessary to bring it to the attention of fellow teachers. D, for example, is a perfect match with 1.2, while C is, at best, debatable. And since one of the people who was sold (i.e. who bought) a ticket from Earth to other planets was an American ex-president (whatever else it might be, it is considered to be a �job� � see here), B makes a lot more sense than D as the option for 1.3.

Alex 

7 Mar 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Finally had a look at this - it �s my day off tomorrow - and sorry, kohai, I agree with the teacher �s book answers. �Present � can be used metaphorically for something good that arrives out of the blue, although �gift � is the more usual term. And that inheritance was an amazing, exceptional gift to fall into that young man �s lap. 

7 Mar 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

So, Lynne, why do you believe that C is a better match than D for 1.2? Wouldn�t you agree that D is unambiguous (Jerry�s situation is definitely about to change)?

7 Mar 2016     

alien boy
Japan

Well, here�s my 2 cents worth!

Thanks for the link, too, Alex.
I agreed�with Alex �s analysis, but thought I �d take a look anyway, and work�through the�options to see what�I come up with.
1.1 - no other options possible A, G
1.4 - no other options possible E H�
1.2 �- D F, C only if you accept the vernacular use of �present� for an inheritance or court awarded decision.
1.3 - B�I, D if you take into account that Cosmo has been arrested, so his situation is about to change whether he is convicted or not (e.g. impact of publicity if found�innocent, fines & prison if found guilty)
So, to me,�you would be looking for the best possible answers for 1.2 and 1.3. This means that�the clearest, least disputable answers should be chosen. so...
1.2 - D F
1.3 - B I
This leaves C as the unused/most disputable question.�
Cheers,
AB�

7 Mar 2016     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >