Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > a question to native speakers    

a question to native speakers

ueslteacher
Ukraine

a question to native speakers

Dear native-speaking colleagues,
do you ever say "to work at a project"? 

12 Mar 2016      

spinney
United Kingdom

I say "I �m working on a project." But we do say "you need to work at it" if we are talking about improving something. I think if a project is referred to as a place, it can be said (I �m working at the Ferryhouse Project). However, I can �t vouch for the rest of the English speaking world. I �m sure you �re going to find some differences on this one. 

12 Mar 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with spinney �s answer - we work on a project. Working at a project wouldn �t frighten the horses, but it �s not at all common usage. 

12 Mar 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Google Ngram viewer seems to bear out what Dale says.
(but check some of the citations for "work at a project")

12 Mar 2016     

melissab
Argentina

I agree. I say work on a project. You could say work at a project in you name the place as Spinney mentioned.

13 Mar 2016     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to commment! A colleague of mine used "work at a project" and my immediate response was to say "work ON a project" so I just needed to check with you because I don �t think I ever heard "work at a project"

13 Mar 2016     

douglas
United States

In some cases (usually when referring to kids) I would say: "Look at those two working away at their project.", but not too often and when I did I would be evoking the "cuteness" of the situation.

15 Mar 2016