Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > devote time to oneself or take time to oneself    

devote time to oneself or take time to oneself

Pedro14
Spain

devote time to oneself or take time to oneself

Hi there,

One student of mine used the expressions above in a composition and after checking two dictionaries, I am still not sure whether they are correct or not. He wants to convey the idea that we have such a hectic lifestyle that we don �t take time to look after ourselves and pay attention to our essential needs. As far as I �m concerned, you devote yourself to sth or devote time to sth. Would you be so kind to throw some light on this question?
Thanks in advance. 

17 Mar 2016      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Pedro, both of those phrases are fine. With the �take time.. � expression, � �for � is better, �to take some time for oneself. � I wouldn �t say they were �set � phrases... More usual would be take some �me � time.  I �ve also heard, have/take some downtime. If you google these expressions, you will find plenty of examples. 

17 Mar 2016     

Pedro14
Spain

Thanks a million for your help. Hope you have had a good day!

17 Mar 2016