Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help needed!    

Help needed!

Lusi12
Ukraine

Help needed!

Hi there!

A student of mine has written �Snakes can deadly poison you �  meaning that their bite can cause a death. I am not quite sure if this sentence is correct. Will you help me with it please?
Thanks a lot.

22 Mar 2016      

maryse pey�
France

In my humble opinion I would rather say VENIMOUS SNAKES CAN BITE PEOPLE TO DEATH.

22 Mar 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

No, that sentence doesn �t really work. There are a number of ways of communicating this piece of information, but that isn �t one of them. maryse� s suggestion and also:
Snake bites can be fatal. Some snakes are poisonous and can kill. A bite from some snakes can cause death... A bite from a poisonous snake can kill... 
Hope this helps.

22 Mar 2016     

SVieira
Portugal

I �d go for Maryse �s suggestion, maybe just replacing "venomous" with "poisonous" (to keep it closer to the original sentence - "Poisonous snakes can bite people to death").
Your student �s phrasing does not seem very accurate because snakes are limited in the way they can transfer their poison into your body (I �ve never heard of a snake pouring some of its poison into someone �s cup of coffee!); that phrasing would probably be fine in detective fiction (Agatha Christie would like it).

Sandra

Editing to say: it seems Cunliffe and I posted at the same time and I didn�t notice it! Sorry, everyone - go for her suggestions, Lusi.

22 Mar 2016     

yanogator
United States

I wouldn �t go with Maryse �s suggestion, because "bite people to death" implies that it is the teeth killing them, not the venom.

To stick close to the original, and use Sandra �s point about method, I would suggest "Snake bites can fatally poison you". Note that we use "deadly" as an adjective, not an adverb. We use "fatally" for that job.

Bruce 

22 Mar 2016     

douglas
United States

You can say "Snakes can poison you." and you can say "deadly poison" (deadly here is an adjective).

Deadly, as far as I can recall, isn �t an adverb, so we have to replace it with and adverb that means deadly. So, following Bruce �s suggestion and trying to keep it as close as possible to the original text, I think I would go with:

"Snakes can fatally poison you."

OBTW:I agree with Bruce about "biting to death"; it doesn �t really fit here (from an American perspective).

Cheers,
Douglas

22 Mar 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

All these grammar and etymological considerations are great, as well as appropriate to an English language teaching site. However, a student - and we don �t know the level - wants to communicate the idea that a snake bite can kill you and I think that �snakes can fatally poison you � sounds a bit odd.
I prefer Bruce�s version. Spot on!

22 Mar 2016     

Lusi12
Ukraine

Thank you very much for your replies. This is  a 12-year-old student with a pre-intermediate level of English. I think  "Snakes can fatally poison you"  is exactly what she meant. 

22 Mar 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Maybe if you eat one?;-)

22 Mar 2016     

alien boy
Japan

Poisonous & venomous, classically, are quite different. This comes from the
Smithsonian:
Traditionally, venomous creatures bite, sting or stab you to do their
damage, while you have bite or touch poisonous critters to feel their
effects. That means venomous organisms need a way in, like fangs or teeth.
All octopuses are venomous, along with some squid, plenty of snakes,
spiders, and scorpions, a few lizards, vampire bats and even the slow loris
Nycticebus kayan. Some fish, including lionfish, use spines to sting
attackers with venom. The Brazilian frogs aren�t even the only venomous
amphibians. When attacked, Iberian ribbed newts push out their own ribs so
that spikes on the ends jab a predator with toxin.

Poisonous organisms take a more passive approach, often lining the skin or
other surfaces with toxic chemicals. Poisons can either be brewed from
scratch inside the animal or acquired through diet. Cane toads naturally
secrete poison they make in glands behind their ears. Meanwhile, poison
dart frogs generate a highly poisonous alkaloid skin coating they derive
from munching on ants. Mama frogs pass the chemical on to tadpoles via egg
sacs, so if you take a young poison dart frog out of its natural habitat,
it will actually lose toxicity.

So, with the above venomous vs poisonous definitions in mind, I would say:

Venomous snakes may kill you with their deadly bite.

Various dictionaries do have �deadly� defined as an adverb. Here, for example: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/deadly

Cheers,
AB

22 Mar 2016     

Lusi12
Ukraine

22 Mar 2016     

1    2    Next >