Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > DEBATE -- GROUP CLASSES - HIGH INTERMEDIATE TO ADVANCED    

DEBATE -- GROUP CLASSES - HIGH INTERMEDIATE TO ADVANCED

ldeloresmoore
China

DEBATE -- GROUP CLASSES - HIGH INTERMEDIATE TO ADVANCED

Hi, Gang -- 

A former coworker in Shanghai emailed me today to ask for some materials she �d seen me use in Shanghai, and I had no idea they were worth anything at all! Turns out she loves them, so I thought I �d see if something like this (it �s a little unusual) would be of any use to any of you before I put it into a template and upload it.

I used to do a weekly debate with High Intermediate and Advanced students. Since government censorship is the way it is here in China, I decided to get all my topics from the newspapers, because they have already been blessed by the censors, so I �m covered.

I get a short article with some element of controversy to it, identify any words they may have problems with, give definitions for those words,   put all of it on a A4 page, make copies, then have it available to the students a few hours before the class so they can take their time reading it.  

At class time, I review the article to make sure everybody has a clear understanding of the element of controversy. Then divide the class in half, one side for, one side against.  I also make sure they know to "plan for what the other guy is going to say" (anticipate objections). I give the groups about 10-15 minutes to plan their positions.  Then bring the two groups together and let them hash it out.

With about 10 minutes left in the class, I end the debate and then get feedback on what people REALLY think about the topic.  It was always really popular, and I hated having to stop it. But all my advanced students left at the end of the academic year last year.  

Anyway -- I have tons of these that I �d be willing to upload if anybody wants them. They are all articles from China Daily and Shanghai Daily, with the corresponding vocab lists.  Like I said, there �s a little work to getting them uniform, but I �m glad to do it if anybody thinks they may use them.  Let me know, and I can have a batch uploaded by Monday or Tuesday latest.

OH! One more important thing. Some of the vocab lists are in English. Others are in Chinese -- For a short time I had a Chinese coworker who was really into this, and she would help me make sure I selected the correct Chinese character for the vocab list. So for quite a few of them, that hard part has already been done. 

Cheers!

Dee 

23 Mar 2016      

Manuhk
Hong Kong

I �d be over the moon if you uploaded those worksheets... Always looking for debating topics, yours sond like they are just the bee �s knees (I started speaking in idioms Wink). Thank you very much in advance!

23 Mar 2016     

alien boy
Japan

They sound like excellent resources Dee!

23 Mar 2016     

ldeloresmoore
China

Ok, I �ll get on it.  One question -- They need to be in a pdf (I need to scan them) format. 

Is that allowable here? Otherwise, I could just convert them to jpg and put them into a ppt.

Additionally, some of them (as mentioned in my post) have Chinese characters on them. Is this going to be a problem for anybody. One kind soul (who has been a trusted source always) thinks I might get in trouble with the moderators of the site if I upload anything that has Chinese characters on it.  If that �s the case, I �ll just not upload those, but it seems a shame, because there �s some really great material there.

Thoughts, anybody?  

23 Mar 2016