Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Vocabulary question    

Vocabulary question

nathalie891
France

Vocabulary question

Hi everyone,

I am working on the topic of jobs with my pupils, and especially on the odd jobs British and American teenagers can do.
How would you call a teenager working in a supermarket and stocking, bagging or evene cleaning up? Is there a name for that kind of job?

Have a nice day,
Nathalie 

29 Mar 2016      

Mariethe House
France

Part-time job / summer job / holiday job ....

here �s an example from wordreference

part-time job n (work: not full time)emploi à temps partiel nm
 When I was a student I had a part-time job working in a pub.

Quand j �étais étudiant, j �avais un emploi à temps partiel dans un pub.

29 Mar 2016     

nathalie891
France

Thank you, but I meant the specific name of� a part-time job for teens in a supermarket. Is there one?

29 Mar 2016     

ldeloresmoore
China

In American supermarkets,  a cashier is a cashier -- it doesn �t matter if they are full-time or part-time. There is no special title based on age. 

"I �m a part-time cashier at ABC Supermarket".

"I �m a part-time stocker (or stock clerk) at ABC Supermarket" (Usually the stock clerks -- informally known as "stock boys", as traditionally they have been male -- also do cleaning.)  (The girls are just usually "stockers". 

"I �m a part-time bagger at ABC Supermarket".   

Hope this helps.  

29 Mar 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Supermarket workers (including part-time student workers) usually get to do a variety of jobs, so they may be stacking shelves, (shelf stacker), on the tills (checkout assistant/operator) and they get a turn going round collecting the trolleys. In my neck of the woods, no-one is employed to pack. The checkout assistant offers to help you. �Would you like any help with your packing? � They always look relieved when you decline. Cleaners are employed separately. We always have a laugh about it in teaching: the ideal job? Shelf stacking at Asda. No stress; no marking. However, the pay is not so good.

Edit: �bagger� must be American. 

29 Mar 2016     

sarguero
Spain

Just in case: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagger

29 Mar 2016     

nathalie891
France

Thank you all for your answers!

Nathalie

29 Mar 2016